Upgrade prod environment 8.0 to 8.9 version

I am planning to update my server from Community EditionVersion 8.0 to the latest version
I have seen that I have to get to version 8.9 LTS and then jump to the latest version, right?
I have also been reading the documentation to update and it is not clear to me the process that I must follow, the update process is through .zip, do I have to create a new instance of sonarqube and transfer the database from my current instance? Isn’t there a better way to do it?
Thank you!

Welcome :slight_smile:

you’re right.
The upgrade path is = Sonarqube 8.0 > Sonarqube 8.9.10 LTS > optional Sonarqube 9.8.0 (latest)
Before updating you need to check if there is a new jdbc driver used which is very likely.
In our case we use MSSQL with integrated authentication so for every update i need to check the
jdbc driver version in $SONARQUBE_HOME/lib/jdbc/mssql, download the related dll and put it on path
=> simply put it in the /bin folder of the jdk Sonarqube runs with
see Install the server

Then you need to

1. unzip the new version
  2. adapt the sonar.jdbc.url in $SONARQUBE_HOME/conf/sonar.properties of the new version
    to point to your database
  3. optional = if you’re using any plugins, copy those from old $SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins to the new $SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins
  4. stop the running instance and start the new
    if installation seems to hang, browse https://yoursonarhost/setup and confirm to start
    the db migration

and you should be done. I don’t know any other way to initiate the database migration, for this the new version has to refer to the existing database. And there’s only the zip file, no installer.

Gilbert

1 Like

Good morning, first of all thank you for such a quick response and the help offered.

After reading your post it has solved many doubts but I still have some active doubt.

When making the update I have copied the plugins that I had in my current instance in order to be able to continue using them.

• sonar-go-plugin-1.6.0.719.jar
  • sonar-kotlin-plugin-1.5.0.315.jar
  • sonar-scm-git-plugin-1.9.1.1834.jar
  • sonar-csharp-plugin-7.17.0.9346.jar
  • sonar-html-plugin-3.2.0.2082.jar
  • sonar-php-plugin-3.2.0.4868.jar
  • sonar-scm-svn-plugin-1.9.0.1295.jar
  • sonar-css-plugin-1.1.1.1010.jar
  • sonar-jacoco-plugin-1.0.2.475.jar
  • sonar-python-plugin-1.16.0.4432.jar
  • sonar-typescript-plugin-1.9.0.3766.jar
  • sonar-dependency-check-plugin-2.0.2.jar
  • sonar-java-plugin-5.14.0.18788.jar
  • sonar-ruby-plugin-1.5.0.315.jar
  • sonar-vbnet-plugin-7.17.0.9346.jar
  • sonar-flex-plugin-2.5.1.1831.jar
  • sonar-javascript-plugin-5.2.1.7778.jar
  • sonar-scala-plugin-1.5.0.315.jar
  • sonar-xml-plugin-2.0.1.2020.jar

I leave here the plugins that I would like to migrate.

In the case of copying and pasting them into the new directory, I get incompatibility errors.

2022.12.23 14:24:32 ERROR web[o.s.s.p.PlatformImpl] Web server startup failed: The following plugins are no longer compatible with this version of SonarQube: ‘scmgit’, ‘scmsvn’

2022.12.23 14:34:35 ERROR web[o.s.s.p.PlatformImpl] Web server startup failed: Found a plugin ‘SonarCSS’ in the directory ‘extensions/plugins’ with the same key [cssfamily] as a built-in feature ‘CSS Code Quality and Security’. Please remove ‘extensions/plugins/sonar-css-plugin-1.1.1.1010.jar’. → to be honest this error is not clear for me

What would be the process to follow in order to download a version that was compatible with version 8.9 LTS?
Could you tell me the page where to download it?

And the last question, once the update is done, Sonar stays in the “SonarQube is under maintenance” status. Is it necessary to manually upgrade the database? Or internally is it already making sonar?

Checking this log i guess i need to do it manually right?

2022.12.23 14:34:34 WARN web[o.s.s.p.DatabaseServerCompatibility] The database must be manually upgraded. Please backup the database and browse /setup. For more information: Upgrade guide

thank you!

Hello @Rebse any feedback? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

seems you’ve mixed up
$SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins = for third party plugins, i.e. a plugin for self written custom rules or GitHub - javamelody/sonar-javamelody: JavaMelody plugin for Sonar - they need to be copied if still compatible with the new Sonarqube version.
and
$SONARQUBE_HOME/lib/extensions/ = those sonar-xxx.jar are plugins by Sonarsource that come bundled with each version => do not copy, every new version contains all needed plugins

and for the second question

The database must be manually upgraded. Please backup the database and browse /setup

this means you need to browse http(s)://yoursonarhost/setup and push the button to start the
DB migration.

Gilbert

1 Like