Trouble with JRE path - SonarLint extension with VSCode on MacOS

sonarlint
vscode

(Goswami Dib) #1

Hi guys,

Really having issues with getting SonarLint to run within VSCode (Version 1.23.1) in macOS (High Sierra Version 10.13.4).

After I installed the SonarLint extension from within VSCode and opened a JS file, I see the following error:
“Couldn’t start client SonarLint Language Server”
“Java 8 is required to run. Please download and install a JRE 8”

Typing “java --version” on my terminal returns the following version of JRE installed:
java 10.0.1 2018-04-17
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)

I have tried setting the following values for the variable “sonarlint.ls.javaHome” in the VSCode user settings but none of them have worked so far:

• “/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/”
  • “/Library/Java/Home”
  • “/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/”
  • “/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/”

Am I doing something wrong here? In general, I can’t install Java Version 8 since 10 is already installed (unless I uninstall 10 and try installing 8).

Has anyone been able to use SonarLint with VSCode in MacOS at all?

(Tibor Blenessy) #2

Unfortunately SonarLint for VS Code doesn’t work with Java 10. You will need to downgrade your java to version 8 or 9.

(Goswami Dib) #3

Thanks Tibor! I uninstalled java from the Mac and reinstalled JRE version 8 - SonarLint is running on my Mac with VSCode now.

Also, for other people facing the same issue, I also had to update the following user setting in visual studio:

"sonarlint.ls.javaHome": "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home",

(Tibor Blenessy) #4

FYI, here is a ticket to support Java 10

https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SLVSCODE-34