Summary admin reporting for Analysis Warnings across all projects

I am using using SonarQube server EE v8.2 in production and 8.3 in test. I have 224 projects and many give analysis warnings, visible in the Web UI thanks to SONAR-11207 introduced in v7.4

On 8.2, having had to roll-back SonarJava plugin to 5.14

Property 'sonar.jacoco.itReportPath' is deprecated (JaCoCo binary format). 'sonar.coverage.jacoco.xmlReportPaths' should be used instead (JaCoCo XML format). Please check that the JaCoCo plugin is installed on your SonarQube Instance.

On SQ 8.3, using latest SonarJava plugin 6.3:

Property 'sonar.jacoco.itReportPath' is no longer supported. Use JaCoCo's xml report and sonar-jacoco plugin.

This is not a question about how to resolve these warnings.

I would simply like to knowā€¦ how does one get a global overview of the warnings? ie without individually inspecting hundreds of projects, how do I track developers progress towards addressing the warnings because, until I know the warnings are addressed I cannot upgrade the SonarJava pluginā€¦ something I really want to do because of all the new rules added in the last few versions.

If the above is not currently possible but people think it would be useful then Iā€™ll log something in JIRA (I could not find anything relevant when searching there just now).

1 Like

Hi,

Youā€™ve hit a very important point! :+1:
Usually as admin if i meet those warnings after checking a bunch of notification mails during daily
routine, i drop an email to the related dev team.
Those warnings should already be part of the notification mails similar to error messages or
sonar.projectVersion (if set).
Also an admin dashboard showing those warnings filtered by project, language, ā€¦ would
be REALLY useful.

Found only one endpoint that returns warnings which is api/ce/analysis_status
see SonarQube

Gilbert

Hi guys,

Excellent points!

Since the feature isnā€™t available, Iā€™ve moved this thread to the ā€˜Suggest new featuresā€™ category & wordsmithed the title slightly. (As well as pointing it out internally. :wink:)

Ann

1 Like

Thanks. Did this result in anything? ie, is there an issue in Sonarsource JIRA that I can watch (and vote for)?

Sorry, not yet. :frowning:

Hi Ann,

:disappointed_relieved: hope this is already part of your backlog and gets high priority !
As admin of several tools i need to say iā€™m used to such a warnings summary,
e.g. Jenkins, Sonatype Nexus ā€¦
That would ease everyoneā€™s Sonarqube admin job !!

Gilbert

Hi guys,

I canā€™t promise anything, but at least now you have a ticket to track:

https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/FR-25

Ann

2 Likes

Is it possible to still get summary of all projects that have analysis warnings? This is a much needed feature in Sonarqube.

Hi @Abhijeet_Vaikar,

What do you mean by ā€œanalysis warningsā€? Issues? Quality Gate failures?

Ā 
Ann

These warnings

We get to know these only when we open a project.

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot!

Thereā€™s not currently an instance-wide summary. But Iā€™ve flagged this for Product Manager attention.

Ā 
Ann

2 Likes

Hi @Abhijeet_Vaikar,

Can you please tell us about what you are trying to achieve? What do you want to do with this information?

Chris

Hi @Chris,

without an instance-wide problem / warnings summary for the admins, detecting those
is a random find.
There are cases when developers see those warnings at their project dashboard but donā€™t react.
If I knew that, I could target them to fix those problems.

As I have written above, other tools as Jenkins - i.e. the summary shows Jobs using deprecated
plugins and data formats among other problems - do have such a summary.

A global Sonarqube summary would make our work a lot easier.

Gilbert

1 Like

Is this feature available now ?

Hi @sg0133,

It is not.

Ann

Hi Ann,

this is standard for many tools i administer, Sonarqube needs that too.
Is there an entry at productboard we may vote for ?

Gilbert

2 Likes

Hi Gilbert,

Itā€™s a fair point. Iā€™ve asked the PMs. Hopefully theyā€™ll weigh-in here again.

Ann

1 Like