SonarQube environment question

Hello Team,

I am a newbie to Sonar and some of my questions sound dumb but appreciate if someone can address following concern. I am setting up new Sonar (Community version) environment in AWS. SQube would be running in AWS EC2 with database as PostgreSQL and EFS volume as storage. I will be using latest SQube version 9.6.1.

• We have a requirement to use JRE 17 if supported by Sonar version 9.6. As per this doc - Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs it is mentioned that Servers are only supported for JRE 11. One of my teammates had tried running server on JRE 17 and according to him Sonar web UI is up and running. Though we haven’t run any analysis yet so my question is does JRE 17 is not officially supported for Sonar 9.6? Will we be run into issue if we use JRE 17 for Sonar web server?
  • Question reg Scanner. As per the doc Install the Server | SonarQube Docs, Scanner will only be running on CI tools like Jenkins worker agent and need not to be hosted on Sonar server. Is my understanding correct?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks,
V

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

First, it’s worth noting that SonarQube 9.7 was announced last week. :smiley:

To answer your question, the docs are correct; Java 17 isn’t supported. In part, what that means is that we haven’t tested running SonarQube with it. So we don’t know whether you’ll run into issues or not.

In fact, ideally the scanner should not run on the SonarQube server host. Ideally, your build agent is going to be an entirely separate machine.

HTH,
Ann

Thanks Ann.

Since it is new environment setup so SonarQube 9.7 make sense.

I will check out this new version.