SonarQube Dev edition only runs in console

• which versions are you using: SonarQube Developer 10.4.1.88267
  • how is SonarQube deployed: downloaded and extracted the zip
  • what are you trying to achieve: To get it started with the start command instead of console command.

I have a FreeBSD14.0 server setup for this specific SonarQube.
I followed the instructions Sonarqube gives for installation. The server has OpenJDK17 for Java and Posgresql15.x alongside the Sonarqube developers editions I downloaded and extracted from a .zip from the official site.

The files, etc. have their owner set to the sonarqube user made specifically to run this application.

When as that specific sonarqube user I run the /bin/linux-x86-64/sonar.sh console command the application starts just fine.
However, when I do /bin/linux-x86-64/sonar.sh start instead it won’t start. The logs produce no errors as to why.

Anyone have an idea how that is possible and how to resolve it? The problem with starting it in console is of course that I can’t close that console or it shuts down sonarqube meaning I’d have to work around with screen to open the console in that, etc. which isn’t a nice solution.

Only log entries that appear when doing start are:

$ less logs/sonar.log
2024.03.15 09:04:27 INFO  app[][o.s.a.AppFileSystem] Cleaning or creating temp directory /home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/temp
2024.03.15 09:04:27 INFO  app[][o.s.a.es.EsSettings] Elasticsearch listening on [HTTP: 127.0.0.1:9001, TCP: 127.0.0.1:42974]
2024.03.15 09:04:27 INFO  app[][o.s.a.ProcessLauncherImpl] Launch process[ELASTICSEARCH] from [/home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/elasticsearch]: /usr/local/openjdk17/bin/java -Xms4m -Xmx64m -XX:+UseSerialGC -Dcli.name=server -Dcli.script=./bin/elasticsearch -Dcli.libs=lib/tools/server-cli -Des.path.home=/home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/elasticsearch -Des.path.conf=/home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/temp/conf/es -Des.distribution.type=tar -cp /home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/elasticsearch/lib/*:/home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/elasticsearch/lib/cli-launcher/* org.elasticsearch.launcher.CliToolLauncher
2024.03.15 09:04:27 INFO  app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Waiting for Elasticsearch to be up and running

and the logs/nohup.log does only mentions a warning a java.lang which is deprecated:

WARNING: A terminally deprecated method in java.lang.System has been called
WARNING: System::setSecurityManager has been called by org.sonar.process.PluginSecurityManager (file:/home/sonarqube/sonarqube-10.4.1.88267/lib/sonar-application-10.4.1.88267.jar)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.sonar.process.PluginSecurityManager
WARNING: System::setSecurityManager will be removed in a future release

Aside from that there are no other logs being created or entries made in regards to this software

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

You say no other logs show up, but to be explicit, you’ve checked all the server logs?

Also, what user does the service start SonarQube as?

Ann

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply. To answer your question: Yes, I did check all the server logs.
And we started sonarqube with a user sonarqube that we specifically made for it and all the files, etc. were adjusted to be owned and executable by that user.

We have since replaced the server with an Ubuntu one on which it works just fine with the same setup as we had for it on the other OS.

1 Like