SonarQube application jar deleted after called from non-supported jre

Downloaded community zip-archive containing sonarqube version 8.6.0.39681
Java version:

D:\study\диплом_root\дистрибутивы\sonar\_sonarqube-8.6.0.39681\lib>java -version
java version "1.8.0_251"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)

After executing java -jar sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar
Got error message about not supported java version.
Afterwards sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar diapered from folder.

D:\study\диплом_root\дистрибутивы\sonar\_sonarqube-8.6.0.39681\lib>ls
common  extensions  jdbc  jsw  scanner  sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar  sonar-shutdowner-8.6.0.39681.jar

D:\study\диплом_root\дистрибутивы\sonar\_sonarqube-8.6.0.39681\lib>java -jar sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: SonarQube requires Java 11 to run
        at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:508)
        at org.sonar.application.App.checkJavaVersion(App.java:93)
        at org.sonar.application.App.start(App.java:56)
        at org.sonar.application.App.main(App.java:97)

D:\study\диплом_root\дистрибутивы\sonar\_sonarqube-8.6.0.39681\lib>ls
common  extensions  jdbc  jsw  scanner  sonar-shutdowner-8.6.0.39681.jar

To be fair it is my fault not reading requirements but it is totally non-expected behavior.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

I’m a little confused. Your title says something about a deletion, but I don’t see that reflected in your logs. Could you be more explict?

Thx,
Ann

1. First ls: we have file sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar in directory.
  2. I am executing it (with wrong jre installed): java -jar sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar. Understandably got an error.
  3. File sonar-application-8.6.0.39681.jar is no longer present in directory after getting this error message with is represented in second ls call.

I am sorry. I believe I am close to limits in my capabilities in English language for this case

Hey there.

Your english is great. :slight_smile:

I can’t reproduce this – but I’m curious, why are you starting the application like this rather than using the startup scripts in the bin directory?

Of course because I downloaded it and got strait to actions before reading or even processing anything. I believe at that point I was just collecting distributive and smoke-run it to use later in analysis work with, honestly, shouldn’t be an excuse.
After re-downloading (since main lib file is missing) and updating jdk i used scripts from bin folder and it worked as expected.
It is just…really strange behavior I think was worth to report.

btw should be definitely jre/platform-dependent issue. Couldn’t reproduce it ether on ubuntu+openjdk 1.8.
Also was thinking it can be related to Cyrillic symbols in path but doesn’t seems like it make any difference.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I’m asking around for somebody who uses Windows as a daily driver to try and reproduce :slight_smile: