Sonarlint scans incorrect path in VS Code

Hi all,

I have been trying to get Sonarlint working on VS Code. It took a little to get the java and nodejs paths right but they appear to be OK now. However, it doesn’t scan my project files - rather the logs indicate it uses a base directory of:
baseDir: “/home/myuser/.vscode-server/data/Machine”.

Startup logs the following:

[stdout] Binding to 40861
Child process connected on port 40861
[Info  - 09:34:00.245] Started security hotspot handler on port 64120
Initializing file:///home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder on branch actual_git_branch_name
[Debug - 09:34:01.207] Fetching configuration for folder 'null'
[Debug - 09:34:01.253] Queuing analysis of file 'file:///home/myuser/.vscode-server/data/Machine/settings.json' (version 1)
[Debug - 09:34:01.315] Folder file:///home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder is now on branch actual_git_branch_name.
[Debug - 09:34:01.796] Fetching configuration for folder 'file:///home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder'
[Debug - 09:34:02.021] Cached SCM ignore status for file 'file:///home/myuser/.vscode-server/data/Machine/settings.json'
[Info  - 09:34:02.249] Analyzing file 'file:///home/myuser/.vscode-server/data/Machine/settings.json'...
[Debug - 09:34:02.341] Analysis triggered with configuration:
[
  baseDir: /home/myuser/.vscode-server/data/Machine

This means it only ever picks up it’s own Settings.js file, leading to log messages like the below:

[Debug - 09:34:13.081] 'JavaScript analysis' skipped because there is no related files in the current project
[Debug - 09:34:13.083] 'TypeScript analysis' skipped because there is no related files in the current project

I haven’t been able to find anywhere I can stipulate how to set that baseDir path outside of that

• Operating system: WSL2 (Ubuntu 20.4 on Windows 10)
  • IDE name and flavor/env: VS Code
  • SonarLint plugin version: v3.4.1
  • Is connected mode used: No

I would really love to make use of this tool - but I can’t seem to get around this roadbump. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Steve

Hello @mrcraze and welcome to the community!

I’m trying to reproduce and I’d like to ask couple questions to clarify, if you don’t mind.

1. Your local git repo was cloned to WSL file system, right?
  2. Your java and node.js located on WSL FS or on Windows disk?
  3. Did you installed VSCode to WSL or to Windows?
  4. Also can I ask you to show your VSCode settings.json? Without sensitive data, obviously.

Hi Kirill,

Thank you so much for replying and the welcome - and the effort in investigating!

Re your questions:

1. Yes, it was cloned in WSL
  2. Both node and java are on WSL (I had to get them installed/re-installed for sonarlint - sonarlint installed java for me)
  3. I am not 100% sure - I think I did install vs code on WSL but I do have it also on my Windows side - but I run it from WSL terminal (using “code .”) and it connects in ‘Remote’ mode to the WSL context

My settings.json file is below (but I have experimented with a number of different options - especially passing the baseDir param, also the javaHome is a symlink now - but originally it was “/home/myuser/.vscode-server/extensions/sonarsource.sonarlint_managed-jre/jre/jdk-11.0.15+10-jre/” ):

{
    "sonarlint.ls.javaHome": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder/jre",
    "sonarlint.pathToNodeExecutable": "/usr/bin/node",
    "sonarlint.output.showVerboseLogs": true,
    "sonarlint.output.showAnalyzerLogs": true,
    "sonarlint.analyzerProperties": {
        "sonarlint.locations.indexText": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder",
        "sonarlint.baseDir": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder"
    },
    "sonarlint.pathToCompileCommands": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder/package.json",
    "sonarlint.typescript.tsconfigPath": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder/",
    "sonarlint.baseDir": "/home/myuser/git/correct-project-folder"
}

If there is another settings file please let me know - this is all I can find.

I think it worked once - where it picked up the right path but then went back to the wrong base path right away. Try as I may I can’t get it - if you can provide any insight/reproduce it, that’d be so helpful.

Thanks again!
Steve

Thanks to all that had a look at this. It seems to have been an issue with VS Code not parsing a file until it was closed and reopened. I stumbled across that somehow - sorry for the ignorance on my part. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.