SonarLint in Eclipse not working starting

Please provide

  • Operating system: Windows 11 x64
  • SonarLint plugin version: SonarLint and above in Eclipse 2022-09
  • Programming language you’re coding in: Java
  • Is connected mode used:
    • Connected to SonarCloud or SonarQube (and which version): SonarQube Developer Edition - Version 8.9.9

And a thorough description of the problem / question:
Previously was using SonarLint and everything was working fine. After update to or above (tried every version including, it always reports 0 issues. Previously reports 3 issues (intentionally set).
Also tried different Eclipse versions (2022-03, 2022-06, 2022-09), the results seems similar.

Noticeable differences:

  1. When using SonarLint, the bindings looks like this.

    When using SonarLint, it looked like this

  2. SonarLint 7.5 Java Main Files AST scan finishes quickly
    Java Main Files AST scan
    1 source file to be analyzed
    1/1 source file has been analyzed
    Java Main Files AST scan (done) | time=63ms

SonarLint 7.1 AST scan finishes slower.
Java Main Files AST scan
1 source file to be analyzed
[SE] Loaded 179 hardcoded method behaviors.
Initializing metadata of file file:/C:/
Evaluate issue exclusions for ‘’
Analysis time of [uri=file:/C:/…/] (1743ms)
1/1 source file has been analyzed
Java Main Files AST scan (done) | time=1748ms

  1. SonarLint 7.1 in Eclipse also shows the blue line that shows sonar issues but SonarLint 7.5 do not.

Hi @kentauros

Difference number 1 is expected.

Could you please:

  1. enable verbose logs in the SonarLint console
  2. then trigger an update of the binding
  3. analyze a file
  4. provide us with the logs (be sure to remove sensitive content)

sonarlint7.5_logs.txt (192.1 KB)

Hi, I attached the log here.

Hello @kentauros,

Could you give us an example of an issue SonarLint was previously finding that it doesn’t anymore ? We are interested in the rule key, and a code snippet showing the problem. Thanks!

As I am just testing out, this is what I used in the version 7.1 that works.

In the newer version that reports 0 issues, the blue line does not appear as well.

Hi is there any updates on this issue? Could it be incompatibility issues?

Hi @kentauros

Thanks for the provided information.

I tried to reproduce it, with SonarLint When project is not connected to SonarQube, it works fine:
Can you try to unbind your project to see if the issue is reported in that case?

Then I did bind to a SonarQube 8.9, and it worked fine as well.

What you can try is to manually trigger an update of the binding:

It should force SonarLint to synchronize its cache, but normally SonarLint should already do it at every startup.

If you still can’t make it work, it means there is something particular in your project (could be on the classpath), so it would help if you could share a standalone project reproducing the issue.

Hi @Julien_HENRY

Thanks for your idea of unbinding, I found out that after unbind it works properly. After binding again to SonarQube then it does not work again. Probably the problem lies within binding to SonarQube.

In that case, would you know if it might be incompatibility issues between SonarQube and SonarLint or some changes that require further configurations for SonarQube or SonarLint?

The SonarQube version 8.9 should be perfectly supported.

I’m trying to think about the difference between SonarLint 7.2 and 7.5 that could explain this. One important change was the ability of SonarLint to detect the best matching branch between the current local branch and branches analyzed on the server. Previously, SonarLint would always synchronize issues statuses with issues from the server-side main branch.

Blind guess: the issue you show is muted (marked as won’t fix/false positive) on a branch analyzed on your SonarQube server (not in the main branch).

You can check what branch SonarLint has “elected” by looking at the logs when switching branches. On my side, I have only one branch analyzed on the SonarQube server, so the logs look like this:

HEAD has changed since last election, evict cached branch...
Elect best matching branch for project org.sonarlint.eclipse.m2e...
Find best matching branch among: master
Best matching branch is master

Some corrections:
Difference is found between SonarLint 7.1 and SonarLint 7.2 (issue persist up until 7.5). Not sure if this ring any bells then.

As for the branch, actually it also goes into the main branch.

OK, maybe the local issue storage is somehow in a bad state. Can you delete the folders:

  • <eclipse workspace>/.sonarlint/storage
  • <eclipse workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.projects/<eclipse project>/org.sonarlint.eclipse.core/issues
    and then restart Eclipse and trigger an update of the binding.