Short Lived Branch Analysis Does Not Work using Azure Dev Ops

I am using the Azure Dev Ops SonarCloudAnalyze and SonarCloudPublish tasks. When I push changes to a new branch and my CI build runs the analysis shows up in the short lived branches in Sonar Cloud but the analysis appears empty. The analysis always shows 0 new lines of code. I would expect to be able to get a look at the coverage and issues in the branch prior to submitting a PR.

Hey there.

Do you see any code appearing in the Code tab of your short-lived branch?

No. The code tab is empty.

@Colin Any update on what could be causing this or some steps to help troubleshoot? This is rather strange as everything populates from the PR’s.

Hey @groogiam

Sorry for the delay.

A potential culprit (and a likely one) is the detection of changed lines. For this I would recommend checking the analysis logs for messages like this, and see if any warnings/errors are being produced.

14:21:08.074 INFO: SCM collecting changed files in the branch
14:21:08.240 INFO: SCM collecting changed files in the branch (done) | time=166ms
14:21:08.240 DEBUG: SCM information about changed files in the branch is not available

Even better if you can upload your analysis logs from a pull request and a short-lived branch here (sensitive information redacted), or I can open a PM.

@Colin I see the first two lines but not the third debug line. I’m not sure if that is because I don’t have debug logging enabled or it is just not there. If you open a PM I can send you the logs from my build agent. Thanks.

Hello @groogiam , sorry for the late response.
I see in your logs:

SCM reported changed lines for 0 files in the branch
Could you please tell me:

1. Do you have any exclusion patterns? If yes, which ones?
  2. Did you changed any file for this analysed branch? The above log tell us that nothing has changed, but i think there is a misconfiguration somewhere.
  3. Do you have this issue in other branches? If yes, which ones?

Hi @Alexandre_Holzhey

1. There are no exclusions in the sonar cloud configuration. Below is the task definitions from my build.yaml
  - task: SonarCloudPrepare@1
    inputs:
      SonarCloud: 'myorgSonarCloud'
      organization: 'myorg'
      scannerMode: 'MSBuild'
      projectKey: 'myproject'
      projectName: 'My Project'
      extraProperties: 'sonar.cs.opencover.reportsPaths=$(Agent.TempDirectory)/**/coverage.opencover.xml'
  - task: SonarCloudAnalyze@1

- task: SonarCloudPublish@1
    inputs:
      pollingTimeoutSec: '300'

There are some ignored folders in the .gitignore but none of them contain source code.

1. Yes the branch I was testing width had a for loop added to one of the files.
        //added code to test sonar cloud results in ci.
        for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(i);
        }
  1. This happens in all other short lived branches. It does not happen for PR’s or the main branch.

Hi @groogiam:

1. Good, looks like we don’t have an issue regarding the exclusions.
  2. Ok, i assume your project also have JS source, right? I mean: you added this line in a source file that is normally analysed in a PR and/or main branch.
  3. All clear. I looked on our side at different types of logs but i cannot see any issue. I can see that PRs are ok. The problem seems to be on the scanner/CI/CD side, maybe a configuration issue.

Let’s try to get a good sample to compare with the bad one you already provided (11_SonarCloudAnalyze.txt). Could you please change the same file as you did for item 2, adding the same changes:

//added code to test sonar cloud results in ci.
        for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(i);
        }

Then trigger an analysis by creating a PR instead of a short lived branch. Could you do this, please? I will create a private message for you to send me the scanner logs. Please proceed exactly like before.