No issue detected in "Damn Vulnerable Web App"

php

(Pietro) #1

Dear all,

I apologize if I ask a wrong question at a wrong place, but I have to start somewhere.
I was trying to use sonar-scanner on a very small PHP code which is taught in introductory classess for web app security (the famous Damn Vulnerable Web Application, DVWA, http://www.dvwa.co.uk).

To much of my surprise the sonar did not find a single security issue in any of the 4 PHP files, all of them full of shell_exec, unsanitized input/output, GET for form-based authentication… (It ran with default “sonar-way” rules as I did not find anything else).

Anyway, I don’t want to criticize anyone and anything, just want to know if SonarQube is the right way to go, or at least if there are tools that are able to catch quite obvious security code flaws. I know that primarily SonarQube is meant to address the quality of code, but security, these days, should be part of quality coding, I believe.

Also, I think few years ago I was able to test Checkmarx and it did seem to be able to find blatant security issues in the code.

Thanks for any useful advice, regards,

Pietro

SonarPHP security good practices