Make Quality Gates configurable on project level

Hi SonarSourcers,

my team provides some central SonarQube instances which are to be shared by multiple projects. As part of our agile journey we want our teams to be able to set own quality goals and therefore they will need project specific Quality Gates.

As far as I am aware the only way to allow project administrators to configure Quality Gates is to give them the global “Administer Quality Gate” permission. This would mean that they are able to edit Quality Gates which are out of their scope too, so that wouldn’t work for us. Also we don’t want to set up and regularly update projectspecific Quality Gates for our users.

Personally I think making the configuration of Quality Gates available on project level would be a great way to empower feature teams to autonomously set and reach their defined quality goals.

Any feedback on how to get there is appreciated

BR Christina

Agreed ! We used to be able to do this but the capability was removed. Please bring it back and allow Project administrators to control the quality gates on their own projects rather than having this as a system admin task (since that role will be used sparingly)

Different projects have different levels of technical debt and need to be able to set their own quality gates independently of one another.

Allowing teams to set - and slowly tighten - the quality gates for their own projects allows them to have better control over how they tackle this technical debt alongside new feature work. One size does not fit all.

1 Like

Hi,

To be clear, project admins can select the Quality Gate to use. You just can’t create or edit a QG without global admin.

Ann

Hi, thank you but my request is not about selecting a Quality Gate, but about configuring own, project specific Quality Gates.

It is the ability to for a project admin to edit a quality gate at the project level which is important to us. We want to be able to set and adjust the per-project goals without having to go to a corporate admin each time we do this.

2 Likes

I would also like to see this feature. Is this being considered for later releases?

1 Like

Would be nice to see in the new version,
absolutely essential permission from a security point of view as well.

As a matter of fact, this is planned for 9.2 (E.T.A. Monday):

:grinning:
Ann