Template for a good bug report, formatted with Markdown:
- SonarQube 7.7 and LDAP plugin 2.2(build 608)
- We are changing our naming convention in AD from first initial and last name to firstname.lastname. Some IDs in SonarQube are not updating though some have. Only errors I have seen recently was an SQL connection related to our scheduled maintenance window this past weekend. I have tried the proper shutdown and start method. Taking a look in the SQL database I see the IDs have not updated in the dbo.users table
- steps to reproduce - NA
- I have tried to create a new ID however this just create a local account that is not tied to LDAP for auth. I have thrown around the idea of just enabling anonymous access as most users only have access to view and nothing else.