Documentation for LDAP Authentication with SSH

SonarQube Community Edition Version 8.4.2 (build 36762)

Hi everyone,

I have a rather general question that does not seem to be answered already in this forum.
Our already integrated LDAP Authentication within our SonarQube Server, I want to use the

ldap.authentication

property within the sonar properties file. Just like described here:

My problem is: There seems to be no e.g. documentation/tutorial telling what to do exactly when changing this property. I assume, that there must be steps that need to be done in advance, when changing e.g. to DIGEST-MD5.

When I simply change that property in the file (and nothing else), the SonarQube service stops shortly after being started with no exception or explanation.

I hope, someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance and
Cheers

Claudius

Hi Claudius,

Have you checked all your server logs? And if so, could you try turning up your log level?

Ann

Hallo Ann,
thank you for your answer.
When I set the authentication to DIGEST-MD5

On a INFO LEVEL I get:

exception caught on transport layer [Netty4TcpChannel{localAddress=/127.0.0.1:54209, remoteAddress=/127.0.0.1:9001}], closing connection
        java io ioexception connection closed by remote host

On a DEBUG LEVEL I get:

[o.e.c.t.TransportClientNodesService] failed to connect to node [{#transport#-1}{DotR4CpaRaW5BkfZJZMyyQ}{127.0.0.1}{127.0.0.1:9001}], ignoring...
org.elasticsearch.transport.ConnectTransportException: [][127.0.0.1:9001] connect_exception
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information: /127.0.0.1:9001

As far as i understand, the LDAP server “simply refuses” to set up the connection to Sonar. But what does the debug level error message tell me ?

To repeat my my initial question: Is there a documentation/manual what to do or what to pay attention to when changing the Ldap authentication type in the properties file ?

Thanks
Claudius

Hi Claudius,

That DEBUG log message is a red herring. Which log are you seeing those lines in?

Here are the docs on delegating authentication via LDAP. There’s that plus the comments in the properties file.

Ann