When we started developing GoQu (in 2018) we thought mostly of our own developers working on projects supporting Insurance Suite. We tried to find some suitable tool on the market, but we failed. Back then, Guidewire itself had nothing more than the Best Practise Guide and on the market there were only few tools supporting Gosu language, but none of them met our criteria.
Nowadays, we know about existence of Gosu SQ Plugin for IS, but we believe that our product is the best solution currently available on the market. Here are the reasons:
- For now, our tool (we named it GoQu) has 132 rules implemented dedicated strictly to Gosu language issues, which is far more than any other code quality tool dedicated to Gosu language available on the market (i.e., GW Inspections has only 64 rules for Gosu). Furthermore, we constantly develop it, having at least two new major versions released each year (ex. next release planned for Q4 this year adds another 13 new rules).
- GoQu supports all GW version starting from 6, whereas GW Inspections works only for GW versions 9 and 10.
- Each of our rules has extensive description, which is especially useful for programmers not experienced in Gosu language – as it helps to increase their learning curve significantly in a short time – thanks to detailed explanations, real code examples written by Gosu Experts, common scenarios and best practices considerations.
- Issue descriptions always have examples of both compliant and not-compliant code as we believe that knowing that something is wrong is not enough to fix it in a proper way.
- Each GoQu rule has assigned severity level to help companies prioritize their work on cleaning the code.
- Using GoQu on SonarQube we can estimate technical debt which allows to assess the amount of work that has to be done to achieve desired quality level of the code.
Additionally, as I mentioned in last post (1,5 year ago, whoah ) GoQu consists of two modules:
- GoQu Dev is a tool for developer to analyse work-in-progress Gosu code directly in Guidewire Studio. Receiving instant feedback over code quality helps accelerating learning curve of unexperienced Gosu developers.
- GoQu Hub generates customizable reports in SonarQube for developers and management, providing an overview of the entire Gosu code base. The scan may be triggered by merge request and helps with code review process.
For the best experience of GoQu, we always use both modules (Hub and Dev) simultaneously, but they can be used independently (all those 132 GoQu rules are implemented in both modules).
If you are interested in more information, please reach us directly via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. I hope I answered your question.