Web Server at localhost:9000 won't start on new Installation

Trying to install sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39682 on an Azure VM running Server 2019 Ent x64. Note this is a Zip file installation. Any type of advice or support from SonarSource has proven to be a bust. They basically told me to go here.

1. First and foremost, we are currently planning to purchase the Developer Edition, but not if I don’t get this up and running. Should I be installing the Community or Developer edition?

2. Are there any more detailed instractions/videos of install walkthroughs that anyone knows of? I found a couple on Youtube and other sites, but not much relates to my install method or is real up to date.

3. What should be the expected output of the SonarStart.bat file to indicate it’s healthy enough to start the web service at http://localhost:9000 ?

Here is the most recent log output from an attempt at running SonarStart.bat.

2021.01.13 20:25:29 INFO app[o.s.a.AppFileSystem] Cleaning or creating temp directory C:\Program Files (x86)\sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39681\temp
2021.01.13 20:25:29 INFO app[o.s.a.es.EsSettings] Elasticsearch listening on [HTTP: 127.0.0.1:9001, TCP: 127.0.0.1:51983]
2021.01.13 20:25:29 INFO app[o.s.a.ProcessLauncherImpl] Launch process[[key=‘es’, ipcIndex=1, logFilenamePrefix=es]] from [C:\Program Files (x86)\sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39681\elasticsearch]: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-15.0.1\bin\java -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files (x86)\sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39681\temp -XX:ErrorFile=…/logs/es_hs_err_pid%p.log -Des.networkaddress.cache.ttl=60 -Des.networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=10 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -Xss1m -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Dio.netty.noUnsafe=true -Dio.netty.noKeySetOptimization=true -Dio.netty.recycler.maxCapacityPerThread=0 -Dio.netty.allocator.numDirectArenas=0 -Dlog4j.shutdownHookEnabled=false -Dlog4j2.disable.jmx=true -Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT -Xmx512m -Xms512m -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=256m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Delasticsearch -Des.path.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39681\elasticsearch -Des.path.conf=C:\Program Files (x86)\sonarqube-community-8.6.0.39681\temp\conf\es -cp lib/* org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch
2021.01.13 20:25:29 INFO app[o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Waiting for Elasticsearch to be up and running
Unrecognized VM option ‘UseConcMarkSweepGC’
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
2021.01.13 20:25:30 WARN app[o.s.a.p.AbstractManagedProcess] Process exited with exit value [es]: 1
2021.01.13 20:25:30 INFO app[o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Process[es] is stopped
2021.01.13 20:25:30 INFO app[o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] SonarQube is stopped
2021.01.13 20:25:32 ERROR app[o.s.a.p.EsManagedProcess] Failed to check status
java.lang.RuntimeException: thread waiting for the response was interrupted
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient.extractAndWrapCause(RestClient.java:818)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient.performRequest(RestClient.java:259)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient.performRequest(RestClient.java:246)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.internalPerformRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1613)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequest(RestHighLevelClient.java:1583)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestHighLevelClient.performRequestAndParseEntity(RestHighLevelClient.java:1553)
at org.elasticsearch.client.ClusterClient.health(ClusterClient.java:130)
at org.sonar.application.es.EsConnectorImpl.getClusterHealthStatus(EsConnectorImpl.java:56)
at org.sonar.application.process.EsManagedProcess.checkStatus(EsManagedProcess.java:89)
at org.sonar.application.process.EsManagedProcess.checkOperational(EsManagedProcess.java:74)
at org.sonar.application.process.EsManagedProcess.isOperational(EsManagedProcess.java:59)
at org.sonar.application.process.ManagedProcessHandler.refreshState(ManagedProcessHandler.java:220)
at org.sonar.application.process.ManagedProcessHandler$EventWatcher.run(ManagedProcessHandler.java:285)
Caused by: java.lang.InterruptedException: null
at java.base/java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:321)
at org.apache.http.concurrent.BasicFuture.get(BasicFuture.java:82)
at org.apache.http.impl.nio.client.FutureWrapper.get(FutureWrapper.java:70)
at org.elasticsearch.client.RestClient.performRequest(RestClient.java:255)
… 11 common frames omitted
<-- Wrapper Stopped

Thanks everyone.

Hi @jfry2k and welcome to our community forum :wave:

i will try to help you with your setup and to answer all your questions. Regarding the startup issue:

as documented in our requirements we currently only support sonarqube to be run with java 11, and it looks like you are trying to run sonarqube with java 15, so please try it with java 11.

Depends on your needs. we have a high level comparison on our website that might help you to decide with which version you want to go

we do not have installation videos but there is a installation guide in our documentation that you might want to have a look at. together with the requirements and hardware recommendations it should give you a good picture what to do.

there should be a file in SONARQUBE_HOME/logs/ called web.log with the content HTTP connector enabled on port 9000 that would indicate that a http connection can now be established. that said there is also the possibility to check for the instance health as the web service is not the only part of sonarqube that is relevant. we provide a dedicated endpoint for that http://localhost:9000/api/system/health

i hope i answered your questions and you will be able to start your sonarqube instance when you switch to java 11 :slight_smile:

Tobias, you right on target. Switched to Java 11 and it took right off. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me just great answers. I look forward to more conversations and interaction in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.