.vue files are not being analysed but sonarcloud scan succeeds

.vue files are not being analysed by SonarCloud scanner but scan succeeds. Please help us understand why this happened and how to fix this.

• ALM used: Bitbucket Cloud
  • CI system used: Bitbucket Cloud
  • Scanner command used when applicable (private details masked): - pipe: sonarsource/sonarcloud-scan:1.2.2
  • Languages of the repository: javascript, typescript, vue
  • Only if the SonarCloud project is public, the URL: Private repo
  • Error observed: Attached logs -
    scan-logs.txt (24.3 KB)

Can someone please look into this and help. It’s urgent.
I tried increasing Dsonar.javascript.node.maxspace but it wouldn’t work.

Hi @kiki

Could you share the content of that ‘.vue’ file? You can do that privately.

Hi @Lena

I do not have the option to send a private message to you. Could you please guide me on how to share this file privately.

I first assumed something is wrong with that first file you’ve sent me, but when I analyze it alone everything is ok. So probably the whole project initialization (which happens during first file analysis) is not successful.

I suggest you to try following:

• You can use sonar.javascript.node.maxspace property to allow the analysis to use more memory. Set this property to 4096 or 8192 for big projects. This property should be set in sonar-project.properties file or on command line for scanner (with -Dsonar.javascript.node.maxspace=4096 ).
  • You can try to remove node_modules dir before analysis
  • Finally you can try to limit number of files by setting sonar.sources (accepts specific directories) or sonar.exclusions (accepts patterns).

Could you also let me know if it started failing recently (when?) or it was failing from the beginning?

As I mentioned already, I tried increasing Dsonar.javascript.node.maxspace but it wouldn’t work. Yes, it has been failing from the beginning - the very first .vue file itself is not being analysed.

We can’t really remove any modules from the repo, will try to exclude libraries using exclusions property. But node_modules get generated only as part of our npm CI on a different pipeline and sonar pipe is on a different pipeline. So, adding it in exclusions kind of didn’t work nor did adding other artifacts from the steps in the same pipeline as sonar pipe.

Also, if it helps: I created a test repo with just this .vue file. Scan succeeded and this vue file was also analysed.

To check if other pipeline steps are causing issues with sonar scanner, I copied the whole repo to our internal test repo with a simple pipeline with just sonarscan pipe. Same errors. I also observed that the problem is not with any particular vue file. Any vue file being picked up for scan first is not being analysed.

Observed these extra errors by enabling debug logs:

INFO: 0/580 files analyzed, current file: **/<filename>.vue
ERROR: eslint-bridge Node.js process is unresponsive. This is most likely caused by process running out of memory. Consider setting sonar.javascript.node.maxspace to higher value (e.g. 4096).
ERROR: Failure during analysis, Node.js command to start eslint-bridge was: node --max-old-space-size=4096 /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle/package/bin/server 32837 127.0.0.1 /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork true false /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle/package/custom-rules4347962301006135656/package
java.lang.IllegalStateException: eslint-bridge is unresponsive

Since there is too much info in this thread, I’d like to summarise the problem here with specific latest info:

• Javascript analysis fails with javascript heap oom error, after a series of INFO: 0/580 files analyzed, current file: **/<filename>.vue and ultimately this error: eslint-bridge Node.js process is unresponsive., but overall scan succeeds and produces quality metrics.
  • These 580 files are a mix of vue files and js files in majority.
  • This doesn’t look like a problem specific to vue files - some vue files have been analysed for maintainability, bugs, debt, etc., (could see some suggestions for these files on sonarcloud dashboard).
  • Other pipeline steps artifacts and things are not interfering with sonar analysis.
  • Workarounds tried and failed: -Dsonar.javascript.node.maxspace=4096/7128 (doesn’t look like a problem of insufficient heap); increased both java heap and js heap to 4096; exclusions for libraries; increase build step size to 2x.

Open questions: Sensor JavaScript analysis [javascript] analysis is failing in the very first step even after increasing maxspace to 7128. Why? And what exactly does this part of sonar analysis analyse?