VSTS + SonarCloud (paid version) Unable to load component / Project was never analyzed / Failed to load profiles

I get this error nunning the Scan step:

“Unable to load component class org.sonar.plugins.github.GitHubPluginConfiguration”

A search in DuckDuckGo only showed a Google forum post where a tech said “Since this is a private repo, let’s chat privately.” which didn’t solve the question.

1 Like

Hi Aaron,

Could you share the full stack trace ? That might give a better chance at understanding the root error. Especially as this error you mention:

Unable to load component class org.sonar.plugins.github.GitHubPluginConfiguration

Has been seen in various threads already: here and here (I recommend you check those and see if it helps), so only the complete error/stack will help further diagnose.

1 Like

@NicoB thank you for the reply! Those other questions were dealing with Maven and Travis. I’m using VSTS (*.visualstudio.com) with the SonarQube extension.

Here is the stack trace:

16:50:31.299 ERROR: Error during SonarQube Scanner execution
16:50:31.299 ERROR: Unable to load component class org.sonar.scanner.scan.ProjectLock
16:50:31.299 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.scanner.scan.DefaultInputModuleHierarchy
16:50:31.300 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.scanner.scan.ProjectBuildersExecutor
16:50:31.300 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.plugins.github.PullRequestProjectBuilder
16:50:31.300 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.plugins.github.GitHubPluginConfiguration

16:50:31.300 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.scanner.scan.MutableProjectSettings
16:50:31.301 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component class org.sonar.scanner.repository.ProjectRepositories
16:50:31.301 ERROR: Caused by: Unable to load component interface org.sonar.scanner.scan.branch.BranchConfiguration
16:50:31.301 ERROR: Caused by: Project was never analyzed. A regular analysis is required before a branch analysis
16:50:31.301 ERROR:

The SonarQube Scanner did not complete successfully

16:50:31.34  Post-processing failed. Exit code: 1

D:\a\_tasks\SonarQubePrepare_15b84ca1-b62f-4a2a-a403-89b77a063157\4.3.2\classic-sonar-scanner-msbuild\SonarScanner.MSBuild.exe failed with return code: 1 

Hi Aaron,

Understood, however keep in mind that SonarQube’s logic is primarily independent from the CI tools it integrates with. Meaning that a common error in VSTS and Travis, could have a common root-cause and common solution. In this case here if you log at the root-cause in the stack you just shared:

Caused by: Project was never analyzed. A regular analysis is required before a branch analysis

It search matches this specific thread, and before anything I would therefore suggest to follow Fabrice’s advice:

Well, again Travis doesn’t help with this. The issue is specific to the VSTS plugin configuration: How do I configure it? I already put in the key and the project name. And the project already exists. But still I get this error.

I had my secret key in the “key” field rather than the project name, so I put the project name in there and now I have:
Failed to load the quality profiles of project '[unique key]': Component key '[unique key]' not found.

I have noticed that when I run it from the command line I specify the organization in addition to the key and login-key. Do I need to specify the org somehow in VSTS settings to make it recognize itself?

Hey Aaron,

Specifying the org is important indeed. Do you confirm you’re using the SonarCloud extension for VSTS ? If so then setting the organization is an integral part of getting the build definition complete. Some good walkthrough on this Microsoft lab: Bing (includes the below screenshot, showing the org setting).

Do I use sonar.organization in the “Additional Properties” field? There is no “Organization” textbox like in the screen shot.

Hence my question:

I’m double-checking that because a SonarQube extension also exists: https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/SCAN/Analyzing+with+SonarQube+Extension+for+VSTS-TFS

If you’re on SonarCloud then I strongly advise using the latest version of the SonarCloud Extension , and the tasks it provides (.e.g. Prepare Analysis on SonarCloud , as you can see in the screenshot).

1 Like