Upgrading from 6.3 to 7.1

Hello, I wanted to know if there are any gotchas I should know about if jumping from 6.3 to 7.1?
Also, the instructions say:

Download the new SonarQube version and start it on an empty DB (the bundled H2 DB for instance).

Can I not point it to the current MySQL db I’m currently using?

So I decided to go from 6.3 to 6.7 first.

1. I download and extracted to a new directory
  2. Updated the conf/sonar.properties in 6.7 (basically just the MySQL user as that was the only change I could spot between the 6.3 and 6.7 files)
  3. Stopped 6.3
  4. Started 6.7

It seems to fail according to the es.log because es can’t run as root
If I try not as root, it still fails…

Can you provide simple steps to fix this, given an installation directory var/sonarqube-6.7.4 in CentOS?

Hi Idan,

On the topic of upgrading there’s one go-to resource: the SonarQube Upgrade Guide ! And it’s also very important to review all intermediate upgrade notes.

I can confirm that SonarQube 6.7 cannot run as root. If it still can’t run then make sure to review all logs per Troubleshooting Guide, and see which error is failing the startup.

I see this:

Can’t run as root
It has always been a bad idea to run SonarQube as root, but with the upgrade in this version of ElasticSearch, it is no longer possible. If you try to run SonarQube as root, the ElasticSearch startup will fail and the SonarQube instance will shut back down.

For the casual Linux user, can you please provide the step-by-step to fix it?

Was able to resolve the “running as root” part, but now after visiting /setup, it’s just stuck on this page…
The log says that setup must take place, which is what I did… now what?

Issue is now resolved.