Upgrade from 6.7.7 Developer Edition to 7.9.1 Developer Edition: LicensedPluginRegistration error

Hello,

I have performed an upgrade of one of our SonarQube 6.7.7 instances with Developer License to the new SonarQube 7.9.1 Developer Edition following the upgrade guide (https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/setup/upgrading/).

I got to step 6 “Browse to http://yourSonarQubeServerURL/setup and follow the setup instructions” and started the DB upgrade. According to the web.log the DB update was successful, but then our instance is crashing:

2019.07.24 15:00:06 INFO  web[][DbMigrations] #2804 'Reindex issues and rules to take into account latest categories definition'...
2019.07.24 15:00:07 INFO  web[][DbMigrations] #2804 'Reindex issues and rules to take into account latest categories definition': success | time=12ms
2019.07.24 15:00:07 INFO  web[][DbMigrations] Executed DB migrations: success | time=24122ms
2019.07.24 15:00:07 INFO  web[][o.s.s.p.d.m.DatabaseMigrationImpl] DB Migration and container restart: success | time=24332ms
2019.07.24 15:00:08 ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.Platform] Background initialization failed. Stopping SonarQube
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to load plugin SonarPLSQL [plsql]
        at org.sonar.server.plugins.ServerExtensionInstaller.installExtensions(ServerExtensionInstaller.java:82)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevel4.start(PlatformLevel4.java:543)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform.start(Platform.java:211)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform.startLevel34Containers(Platform.java:185)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform.access$500(Platform.java:46)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform$1.lambda$doRun$0(Platform.java:119)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform$AutoStarterRunnable.runIfNotAborted(Platform.java:371)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform$1.doRun(Platform.java:119)
        at org.sonar.server.platform.Platform$AutoStarterRunnable.run(Platform.java:355)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sonarsource/plugins/license/api/LicensedPluginRegistration
        at com.sonar.plsql.plugin.PlSqlPlugin.define(Unknown Source)
        at org.sonar.server.plugins.ServerExtensionInstaller.installExtensions(ServerExtensionInstaller.java:72)
        ... 9 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sonarsource.plugins.license.api.LicensedPluginRegistration
        at org.sonar.classloader.ParentFirstStrategy.loadClass(ParentFirstStrategy.java:39)
        at org.sonar.classloader.ClassRealm.loadClass(ClassRealm.java:87)
        at org.sonar.classloader.ClassRealm.loadClass(ClassRealm.java:76)
        ... 11 common frames omitted
2019.07.24 15:00:08 INFO  web[][o.s.p.ProcessEntryPoint] Hard stopping process

Can someone give me a hint, what is causing the problem and where to check?

Thanks in advance,
Rainer

I was able to resolve my issue.
I had installed the Community Edition, not the Developer Edition. After installing the Developer Edition I was able to successfully start the instance.

Sorry for wasting time,
Rainer

2 Likes

Hi Rainer,

No worries! I’m glad you worked through it!

:slight_smile:
Ann