Unrecognized option - Launching a VM

Greetings everyone,
I’m fairly new to Sonar (it’s been awhile anyway) and I’m setting up a new instance. I’ve gone through the install docs and otehr reources, but can’t seem to get past the error below. It would appear it’s having an issue with Java? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

wrapper | → Wrapper Started as Console
wrapper | Launching a JVM…
jvm 1 | Unrecognized option: --add-exports=java.base/jdk.internal.ref=ALL-UNNAMED
jvm 1 | Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
jvm 1 | Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
wrapper | JVM exited while loading the application.
wrapper | JVM Restarts disabled. Shutting down.
wrapper | ← Wrapper Stopped
Press any key to continue . . .

What version of SonarQube are you trying to start? What version of Java is installed?

Of course. Here is the SQ version sonarqube-enterprise-9.5.0.56709 and here is the java version is jdk-11.0.15.1_windows-x64_bin

I’m doubtful that this is the version of Java launching SonarQube. Can you check the JAVA_HOME environment variable of your server, as well as run java --version from the cmd line?

Thanks Colin, you bet.
I agree with you, but that where I can’t figure out the issue.

Here are the variable path entries:
User variables

System Variables

Here is the directory structure

Here is what java --version shows:

C:\Users\bproadmin>java --version
Unrecognized option: --version
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

This tells me that the version of java found on the PATH is less than Java 9, which means it cannot be Java 11 (Java 8 doesn’t support java --version, while Java 11 does).

What does java -version tell you?

Colin, Sooooo, we were both correct. There was actually an older version (v8) in place as well as the v11 I was trying to use. All good. I really appreciate the insight and response.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.