I am seeing the same issue on my server now and I can’t find other posts about this error. But we are seeing that “java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown properties in plugin descriptor: [type]” in our es.log and Sonarqube doesn’t want to start up as a result.
From what I can see Sonarqube goes into a cycle of shutting down and starting up again.
What does this error mean?
We just recently upgraded from 188.8.131.52397 to 8.9.9 LTS
Welcome to the community!
I’ve moved your post to a new thread because it wasn’t entirely relevant to the old thread you’d resurrected.
What plugins are you using? Anything interesting in your server logs?
We have attempted to upgrade our version of Sonarqube from 8.3.1 to 8.9.9 LTS, but have gotten some errors in relation to Elasticsearch plugins.
Here are the errors in relation to sonar.log:
and Here are the errors in relation to the es.log:
Could someone please assist in resolving this error?
Thanks for any response. Much appreciated
Welcome to the community!
I’ve combined your post with your colleague’s since they’re on the same topic.
Have you installed any SonarQube plugins? What, if any, customizations have you made to your installation (other than the requisite configuration of your DB connection data)?
BTW, if you need to post more logs, please copy/paste the text. The screenshots aren’t easy to read at all.
Thanks for organising our posts, apologies if it came off a bit spammy, we kinda didn’t coordinate our posts haha.
We’ve taken over support of this instance from another team, so I’m not 100% on customizations. Is there an easy way to identify that i.e. checking a folder somewhere?
Since you’re new to this inherited instance, it may be cleanest to start over.
- redownload the SQ bundle
- unzip into a new directory
$SONARQUBE-HOME/conf/sonar.properties with your JDBC URL & credentials (& LDAP connection properties if you’re using LDAP)
- don’t change anything else in your new instance
Then start it up and see how it goes. I’m asking you to download a fresh copy of the bundle because eeevery once in a while, we see someone with weird errors caused by a corrupted bundle. This way you start fresh.
And BTW, after I responded, I did a little searching on your error (okay yes, maybe I should have searched before I responded ) & found very little except indications of a Frankenstein Elasticsearch install. Which is even more reason IMO to start with a fresh SQ bundle.
We tried a fresh install of SQ like you suggested, and it seemed to work! Thank you for your help