SonarQube Scan will intermittently fail due to a "java.lang.IllegalStateException"

Hi Guys,

Server Version 9.9.1 (build 69595)
SonarScanner 4.7.0.2747
scanner deployed via zip

I am currently seeing a Jenkins job I have set up to run sonarqube scanner fail every two-three scans. The building will run fine every time but on the failing scans, the following error is displayed

15:46:07.931 ERROR: Error during SonarScanner execution
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 221 column 2 path $.captures[0].env[169]
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:395)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:1214)
	at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:1173)
	at com.sonar.cpp.plugin.BuildWrapperJsonReader.readCaptures(BuildWrapperJsonReader.java:85)
	at com.sonar.cpp.plugin.CFamilySensor.process(CFamilySensor.java:905)
	at com.sonar.cpp.plugin.CFamilySensor.process(CFamilySensor.java:410)
	at com.sonar.cpp.plugin.CFamilySensor.execute(CFamilySensor.java:215)
	at org.sonar.scanner.sensor.AbstractSensorWrapper.analyse(AbstractSensorWrapper.java:64)
	at org.sonar.scanner.sensor.ModuleSensorsExecutor.execute(ModuleSensorsExecutor.java:88)
	at org.sonar.scanner.sensor.ModuleSensorsExecutor.execute(ModuleSensorsExecutor.java:64)
	at org.sonar.scanner.scan.SpringModuleScanContainer.doAfterStart(SpringModuleScanContainer.java:82)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.SpringComponentContainer.startComponents(SpringComponentContainer.java:188)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.SpringComponentContainer.execute(SpringComponentContainer.java:167)
	at org.sonar.scanner.scan.SpringProjectScanContainer.scan(SpringProjectScanContainer.java:403)
	at org.sonar.scanner.scan.SpringProjectScanContainer.scanRecursively(SpringProjectScanContainer.java:399)
	at org.sonar.scanner.scan.SpringProjectScanContainer.doAfterStart(SpringProjectScanContainer.java:368)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.SpringComponentContainer.startComponents(SpringComponentContainer.java:188)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.SpringComponentContainer.execute(SpringComponentContainer.java:167)
	at org.sonar.scanner.bootstrap.SpringGlobalContainer.doAfterStart(SpringGlobalContainer.java:137)
	at org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.Batch.doExecute(Batch.java:72)
	at org.sonar.batch.bootstrapper.Batch.execute(Batch.java:66)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.batch.BatchIsolatedLauncher.execute(BatchIsolatedLauncher.java:46)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.IsolatedLauncherProxy.invoke(IsolatedLauncherProxy.java:60)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy0.execute(Unknown Source)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.EmbeddedScanner.doExecute(EmbeddedScanner.java:189)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.EmbeddedScanner.execute(EmbeddedScanner.java:138)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.cli.Main.execute(Main.java:112)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.cli.Main.execute(Main.java:75)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.cli.Main.main(Main.java:61)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected a string but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 221 column 2 path $.captures[0].env[169]
	at com.google.gson.stream.JsonReader.nextString(JsonReader.java:834)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$15.read(TypeAdapters.java:421)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapters$15.read(TypeAdapters.java:409)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:40)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.CollectionTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(CollectionTypeAdapterFactory.java:82)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.CollectionTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(CollectionTypeAdapterFactory.java:61)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.readIntoField(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:212)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$FieldReflectionAdapter.readField(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:431)
	at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:391)
	... 34 more
WARN: Unable to locate 'report-task.txt' in the workspace. Did the SonarScanner succeed?
ERROR: SonarQube scanner exited with non-zero code: 1

I’ve tried running a fresh build in Jenkins which will wipe and reset the workspace. When this is done, the scan will complete as normal. If I attempt to rescan the existing workspace when it fails, I can repeat the error.

There isn’t much information about this online, so I wanted to see if the community could help! :slight_smile:

Many Thanks

Hi @alex45 ,

would you be able to share the build-wrapper out-dir content and the analysis log of a failing build in a private message?

To me it seems likely that some “json”-format file is not strictly “legal”…
The scanner expected a (maybe quoted?) string, but the json instead
seems to contain an open brace (judging from the BEGIN_OBJECT).

I don’t know what json it is even parsing there. If there aren’t too many json files in the
project directory tree, you might check them visually if one of them is broken.
It might be that the bad json doesn’t belong to your project, but only gets created
during the scan, and sometimes apparently corruptly so.

@avl what you are writing is not of much help, please wait for more information.

Hi Massimo,

Sure I can send over a sanitized copy but I appear to be unable to directly PM you.

Alexandra

I sent you a private message and waiting for an answer.