Sonarqube applications is stopped suddenly

Hi Team,

Sonarqube installed version is Enterprise Edition Version 7.9.3.

Our Sonarqube application stopped suddenly yesterday and not sure what was the problem also noticed that “This is very likely to create a memory leak” in the web.log file.

Please do the needful to findout the root cause and solution.

Log message:

2021.01.03 13:30:00 WARN web[o.a.c.l.WebappClassLoaderBase] The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [logback-13] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.base@11.0.7/jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:194)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.await(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2081)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:1170)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:899)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1054)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1114)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
java.base@11.0.7/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
2021.01.03 13:30:00 WARN web[o.a.c.l.WebappClassLoaderBase] The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [logback-15] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:194)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.await(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2081)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:1170)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:899)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1054)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1114)
java.base@11.0.7/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
2021.01.03 13:30:00 DEBUG web[o.s.s.a.TomcatAccessLog] Tomcat is stopped

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Hello, anything interesting in the other logs?

Hi @pierreguillot

please find some other error message which was occurred .

Sonar.log

WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
2020.06.25 16:48:50 DEBUG app[][o.e.c.t.TransportClientNodesService] failed to connect to node [{#transport#-1}{d5ts0W89R4irM_X9UZVfrw}{xxxxxxxx}{172.1xxxxxxxx:9001}], ignoring...
org.elasticsearch.transport.ConnectTransportException: [][1xxxxxxxxx:9001] connect_exception
	at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport$ChannelsConnectedListener.onFailure(TcpTransport.java:1309) 

ce.log

021.01.03 13:27:27 DEBUG ce[][o.p.c.v.ConnectionFactoryImpl] Trying to establish a protocol version 3 connection to sonarqube-database-v00.xxxxxxx.eu-central-1.rds.amazonaws.com:5432
2021.01.03 13:27:27 DEBUG ce[][o.p.ssl.MakeSSL] converting regular socket connection to ssl
2021.01.03 13:27:27 DEBUG ce[][o.p.c.v.ConnectionFactoryImpl] Receive Buffer Size is 65,536
2021.01.03 13:27:27 DEBUG ce[][o.p.c.v.ConnectionFactoryImpl] Send Buffer Size is 43,520

Web.log

2021.01.03 13:30:00 WARN  web[][o.a.c.l.WebappClassLoaderBase] The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [logback-15] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
2021.01.03 13:30:00 DEBUG web[][o.s.s.a.TomcatAccessLog] Tomcat is stopped

Hi, you cut the stacktrace of sonar.log, what say the full stacktrace?

Hi

Yes, I updated the full stack trace below.

2020.06.25 16:04:34 DEBUG app[][o.e.c.t.TransportClientNodesService] failed to connect to node [{#transport#-1}{nl-OgQJATMaC0vIGemUTxg}{xxxxxxxx.201}{xxxxxxx:9001}], ignoring...
org.elasticsearch.transport.ConnectTransportException: [][xxxxxxxxx:9001] connect_exception
	at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport$ChannelsConnectedListener.onFailure(TcpTransport.java:1309)
	at org.elasticsearch.action.ActionListener.lambda$toBiConsumer$2(ActionListener.java:100)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.concurrent.CompletableContext.lambda$addListener$0(CompletableContext.java:42)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(CompletableFuture.java:859)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:837)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:506)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeExceptionally(CompletableFuture.java:2088)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.concurrent.CompletableContext.completeExceptionally(CompletableContext.java:57)
	at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty4.Netty4TcpChannel.lambda$new$1(Netty4TcpChannel.java:72)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListener0(DefaultPromise.java:511)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners0(DefaultPromise.java:504)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListenersNow(DefaultPromise.java:483)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.notifyListeners(DefaultPromise.java:424)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultPromise.tryFailure(DefaultPromise.java:121)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.fulfillConnectPromise(AbstractNioChannel.java:327)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:343)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:644)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:591)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:508)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:470)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:909)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: /172.16.73.201:9001
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:779)
	at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doFinishConnect(NioSocketChannel.java:327)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:340)
	... 6 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
	... 10 common frames omitted
2020.06.25 16:04:35 WARN  app[][o.s.a.p.AbstractManagedProcess] Process exited with exit value [es]: 143
2020.06.25 16:04:35 INFO  app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Process[es] is stopped
2020.06.25 16:04:35 INFO  app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] SonarQube is stopped

Hi, so it looks like that the tcp port 9001 is already busy. It’s used by SonarQube to start an elasticsearch process. Make sure you free this 9001 port before starting, or edit your sonar.properties to force the usage of another free port.

Hi
Sure, I will check it. But why Sonarqube application was stopped suddenly?.

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Starting SQ in Enterprise Edition means starting 3 processes:

• a web process, that handles the API & the web UI
  • a Compute Engine process that process analysis reports
  • an ElasticSearch process that store denormalised data for fast access

All 3 process needs to talks to each other to collaborate, through APIs or the filesystem. The ElasticSearch process exposes it’s API to the TCP port 9001. The web and Compute Engine access ElasticSearch by calling localhost:9001. So you need a free port for ES to expose its API.

SonarQube can’t work without ElasticSearch working properly.

Hi @pierreguillot,

I think you miss understood the problem.

See, the Application has worked fine earlier and stopped suddenly in between. I couldn’t find the reason why it was stopped suddenly. However, In the sonar.log file captured to “create a memory leak” error message.

could you please help me to resolve this issue?

Log message:

Sonar.log

2021.01.03 13:30:00 WARN web[o.a.c.l.WebappClassLoaderBase] The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [logback-13] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:

Regards,
Nataraj.R

That’s because the port 9001 is busy. It may be by:

• Another application running on the same machine
  • Another SonarQube instance running on the same machine
  • Your existing SQ instance failed to shutdown properly and you have a zombie process still running on port 9001.

If you are using Linux, you can use this kind of commands to know which process is listening on the port 9001:

• netstat -ltnp | grep -w ':9001'
  • lsof -i :9001

Don’t worry about the memory leak issue, it happens during SQ shutdown. It’s not the cause of the shutdown.

Hi @pierreguillot,

Thank you for your response quick.

please see my comments inline

1. Another application running on the same machine.
    No, We didn’t run another application on the same machine.

2. Another SonarQube instance running on the same machine
    No, It’s a dedicated production instance.

3. Your existing SQ instance failed to shut down properly and you have a zombie process still running on port 9001.
    The application running for more than 3 months without issue. But applications is stopped suddenly as unknow behavior.

We hosted the Sonarqube application on AWS environment as m4.xlarge instance type and the total number of projects is195 around.

Are there any hardware-recommendations to improve the application performance, because nowadays applications took more response time to react?

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Understood, which is compatible with SQ instance failed to shutdown properly. Did you manage to find a process listening on port 90001?

Let’s focus on your issue about restarting SonarQube first, and we can discuss this topic later / on another thread.

Hi @pierreguillot

I didn’t see any other port occupied for elastic search also attached a screenshot for the same.

Regards,
Nataraj.R

So, here SonarQube is running properly, correct?

Hi Pierre,

unfortunately, Application has went down today.

I want to send the complete log file to you. could you please let me know how to send it?

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Hi, you can attach relevant log files here. Anything interesting in the logs, errors before SQ shutdown?

With SQ down, is there any process listening on port 9001, before you try to restart it?

Hi Pierre,

I will send the log file soon.

But I pasted some of the error messages below.

DEBUG es[o.e.i.s.IndexShard] state: [STARTED]->[CLOSED], reason [shutdown]
2021.01.13 13:29:47 DEBUG es[o.e.i.e.Engine] flushing shard on close - this might take some time to sync files to disk
2021.01.13 13:29:47 DEBUG es[o.e.i.e.Engine] close now acquiring writeLock
2021.01.13 13:29:47 DEBUG es[o.e.i.e.Engine] close acquired writeLock
2021.01.13 13:29:47 DEBUG es[o.e.i.t.Translog] translog closed
2021.01.13 13:29:47 DEBUG es[o.e.i.IndexService] [0] closing… (reason: [shutdown])

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Hi pierre,

Did you get any chance to look into the above error message?

Regards,
Nataraj.R

Hi, well this snippet of logs does not tell us anything. It’s a classical shutdown log.

I’m actually waiting for your logs :slight_smile:

Hi @pierreguillot,

Is there any way to send the log file to you privately?

Regards,
Nataraj.R