SonarQube 9.9.1 connection to PostgreSQL 11

We are running a container image of sonarqube in AKS. We are upgrading from 8.6 to 9.9.1 but we have changed out method. We are now starting from the sonareqube:enterprise:9.9.1 image in Docker hub and changing the properties through environment variables. We are running PostgreSQL version 13 in Azure.

The service never starts and the web.log stops at the following message:

HikariPool-1 - Starting…

Eventually the pod will restart.

I have tested the JDBC credentials and connection string and have also verified that the pod could reach the PostgreSQL resource. Nothing has changed so these parameters were carried over from the previous version.

I have started the service using the H2 db and I can connect to the web UI. When I revert back to PostgreSQL it is using the appropriate URL (again nothing changed from the previous version) but it never returns and eventually times out with no error and I get the message that SonarQube is gracefully shutting down.

The following properties have been checked and verified that they have the correct values.

SONAR_JDBC_USER=XXX
SONAR_JDBC_PASSWORD=XXX
SONAR_JDBC_URL=XXXX

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

What do your server logs say?

Ann

web.log (942 Bytes)
es.log (9.0 KB)

The logs have been uploaded. What I see is the web.log will remain until a timeout occurs and the server will gracefully shutdown and restart.

2023.08.02 11:19:35 INFO web[c.z.h.HikariDataSource] HikariPool-1 - Starting…

Since I am running the SonarQube container image there are not many tools to work with, so I tested access to the PostgreSQL database using wget command and it appears to be able to connect.

wget https://:5432
–2023-08-02 12:06:44-- https://:5432/
Resolving ()… XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Connecting to (dbsonarnp-)|XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:5432… connected.

This is an upgrade from an 8.6 version so communication to the PostgreSQL database should be the same.

1 Like

Hi @mkontak,

So, I don’t think that’s what’s causing this, but just to be sure.

You mention you upgraded from 8.6 to 9.9. Did you first upgrade to 8.9.10 (last version of the 8.x series), before making the jump to 9.9 (see Migration path)? If not, you will encounter unexpected behavior.

Again, probably not related to any connection issues. But let’s start with the basics :slight_smile:.