SonarPHP doesn't analyze php-unit tests with dataProvider

• SonarQube Version 7.3 (build 15553), Scanner 3.2.0.1227, SonarPHP 2.14.0.3569, php 7.2.10, php-unit 7.3.5
  • Sonarphp doesn’t analyze php-unit tests with dataProvider.
    In logs i have warnings:
WARN: Test cases must always be descendants of a file-based suite, skipping : Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest.testIsStrKeysArray with data set #0 in Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest::testIsStrKeysArray
WARN: Test cases must always be descendants of a file-based suite, skipping : Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest.testIsStrKeysArray with data set #1 in Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest::testIsStrKeysArray
WARN: Test cases must always be descendants of a file-based suite, skipping : Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest.testIsStrKeysArray with data set #2 in Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest::testIsStrKeysArray
WARN: Test cases must always be descendants of a file-based suite, skipping : Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest.testIsStrKeysArray with data set #3 in Adsterra\Tests\Unit\Core\Helper\ArrHelperTest::testIsStrKeysArray
  • steps to reproduce
  1. Create unit test on php with dataProvider;
  2. Run this test;
  3. Scan reults test xml file use SonarQube scanner;
1 Like

Ilia,

Is your issue that the tests are not being analyzed, or that the test results are not being imported to SonarQube. Simply scanning a test results file is not enough, you will need to follow the SonarPHP documentation for PHP Unit Test and Coverage Results Import.

Colin

Hi Ilia, have your found a solution to this problem by any chance? As I understood, it has to do with the parametrised test cases being generated inside the cascaded testsuite elements in a test report file, and SonarScanner does not like it. But I can’t figure out how to fix that.

Hi,

I have a similar issue on a sonarcloud project: https://sonarcloud.io/dashboard?id=Evoluty_google-maps-apis-php-client

@Colin You can check it on travis https://travis-ci.org/Evoluty/google-maps-apis-php-client/jobs/506018115#L581 and the related test is https://github.com/Evoluty/google-maps-apis-php-client/blob/master/tests/ApiExceptionsTest.php

“INFO: Analyzing PHPUnit test report: tests/logs/logfile.xml”

Example xml that will show warnings

• for //testsuite/testsuite/testsuite/testcase
  • but read //testsuite/testsuite/testcase
  • because there is no file attribute on the nested testsuite node
<testsuites>
  <testsuite assertions="3885" errors="0" failures="0" name="classes" skipped="36" tests="1926" time="0.778806">
    <testsuite name="tests\SomeTest" file="/home/.../SomeTest.php" tests="11" assertions="22" errors="0" failures="0" skipped="0" time="0.075715">
      <testcase name="someTest" class="tests\SomeTest" classname="tests.SomeTest" file="/home/.../SomeTest.php" line="17" assertions="3" time="0.032633"/>
      <testsuite name="tests\SomeTest::otherTest" tests="7" assertions="14" errors="0" failures="0" skipped="0" time="0.032672">
        <testcase name="otherTest with data set #0" class="tests\SomeTest" classname="tests.SomeTest" file="/home/.../SomeTest.php" line="87" assertions="2" time="0.004864"/>

Simple python script that you can run on the logfile.xml to patch the file attribute on testsuite nodes (workaround):

Greetings guys –

Thanks for reaching out on this (and thanks @black-silence for posting a workaround). Can you clarify the issue that you think should be solved?

• Warnings appearing in the analysis logs
  • Test Results not appearing in SonarQube / metrics not being calculated correctly
  • …?

Best regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

IMO all testcase nodes in my example are descendants of a file-based suite, just not direct descendants.

There should not be a warning and the testcase should not be ignored if there is a testsuite with a file attribute in ancestors.
Maybe even ignore the testsuite file attribute if the testcase node has a file attribute, could be easier to code. (I am assuming the attribute value is the same on all child nodes for any testsuite that has a file attribute.)

This would include all test cases in the analysis regardless of the nesting level.

Best regards,
bs

Without this gist, the test coverage is not imported at all into SonarQube. You can see some of the output here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208522, but basically it’s a lot of “Test cases must always be descendants of a file-based suite, skipping : AuthManagerStatsdHandlerTest.testHandle with data set “no event” in AuthManagerStatsdHandlerTest::testHandle”.

With this gist, I get a bit closer but if a test has a data provider then I’ll end up with:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Can not add the same measure twice on tests/phpunit/MentorTest.php: DefaultMeasure[component=tests/phpunit/MentorTest.php,metric=Metric[id=<null>,key=skipped_tests,description=Number of skipped unit tests,type=INT,direction=-1,domain=Coverage,name=Skipped Unit Tests,qualitative=true,userManaged=false,enabled=true,worstValue=<null>,bestValue=0.0,optimizedBestValue=true,hidden=false,deleteHistoricalData=false,decimalScale=<null>],value=0,fromCore=false]

I’ve made a slightly modified version of this gist (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/integration/config/+/508019/9/dockerfiles/quibble-stretch-php70/phpunit-junit-edit.py) which will result in data provider test coverage in junit.xml to be ignored, which is better than the other two outcomes I listed above.

Hi,

I’ve created a ticket in SonarPHP to support such unit test reports (https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARPHP-927)

1 Like

@Lena do you have a sense of where in the roadmap this issue might fit in? This bug makes SonarPHP a hard sell to many people with respect to code coverage.

Sorry, no estimation yet.

I have successfully fixed this issue by updating PHP Sensor to 3.5.0.5655. To fix the problem with relative paths in junit-logfile.xml (messages like WARN: Could not resolve 18 file paths in coverage.xml, first unresolved path) I used the snippet below to fix the generated report:

sed -i "s|${PWD}/||g" junit-logfile.xml

1 Like

Hello,

I don t know if something supposedly fixed this already.
But to answer @Colin (I am sorry if you completely forgot about these) questions, in my case :

• I still have warnings
  • the coverage seems imported : I only did simple tests (single line function, and a simple if / else function), but the measures part is showing the coverage, as well as the pull request decoration
  • the tests results are imported : success and failures are updated in the measures part, I did not test errors and skipped tests. The number of unit test by file is correct (only tested with dataProviders doing 2 iterations).

So my only question is why is there a warning in the logs saying the test is skipped ? Or am I missing something else that should be imported ?

This warning is disturbing because we think we have to do something, whereas maybe we do not…

I m using phpunit 9.4.1 (but the junit xml file is still the same), sonarQube 8.3.1, SonarPHP 3.3.0.5166.

If you need more information, let me know. (I did not open a new thread because I think it is really the same problem, except the only problem is the warning, but I might be wrong).

Also, the link in your first answer is outdated, yet many people are still clicking on it, or so it seems?

Thank you

[Edited]
Sorry, I should have read everything, I did not understand Fernando Torres message… so this should be fixed in SonarPHP 3.4, as described in https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARPHP-927.