SonarLint in a VS2022 CMakePresets project

To start, yes, I found this thread and this issue. From what I gather, SonarLint is still supposed to work if I create a dummy CMakeSettings.json that points to my build directory.

But I’m striking out.

I can connect to our SonarQube server and download the ruleset; the .sonarlint directory gets populated. I even get a message in the status bar that claims, SonarLint: Finished analyzing whateverfileimlookingat.cpp.

But I get no actual output from SonarLint. (And the CI build analysis has quite a lot to say; so I don’t think SonarLint is lacking for things to talk about.)

I’ve got version 6.12.0.59751 of the SonarLint extension. Our SonarQube server is version 9.7.1.

My CMakeSettings.json looks like this:

{
  "configurations": [
    {
      "name": "v140-x64-RelWithDebInfo",
      "generator": "Ninja",
      "buildRoot": "C:\\Builds\\${projectDirName}\\${name}"
    },
    {
      "name": "v140-x64-UnoptWithDebInfo",
    },
    {
      "name": "v140-x64-Debug",
    },
    {
      "name": "v140-x86-RelWithDebInfo",
    },
    {
      "name": "v140-x86-UnoptWithDebInfo",
    },
    {
      "name": "v140-x86-Debug",
    }
  ]
}

In CMakePresets.json, I have configuration presets with names matching the ones I’ve used in CMakeSettings.json; and they all inherit this hidden preset:

{
  "name": "windows",
  "hidden": true,
  "condition": {
    "type": "equals",
    "lhs": "${hostSystemName}",
    "rhs": "Windows"
  },
  "binaryDir": "C:/Builds/${sourceDirName}/${presetName}",
  "installDir": "C:/Builds/${sourceDirName}/${presetName}/install"
}

compile_commands.json is generated by the build and in the root of the build directory. Entries in it look like this:

{
  "directory": "C:/Builds/MyProject/v140-x64-RelWithDebInfo",
  "command": "C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~1.0\\VC\\bin\\amd64\\cl.exe  /nologo /TP -DNOMINMAX -DFoo_EXPORTS -I\"C:\\Users\\Me\\OneDrive - Company\\Source\\Repos\\MyProject\\src\\..\\include\" -I\"C:\\Users\\Me\\OneDrive - Company\\Source\\Repos\\MyProject\\src\\ntsim\\..\\..\\include\\foo\" -IC:\\Builds\\conan-data\\hdf5\\1.14.0\\Foo\\stable\\package\\644226a85741a02545333aad41154d94bc7cfceb\\include -IC:\\Builds\\conan-data\\hdf5\\1.14.0\\Foo\\stable\\package\\644226a85741a02545333aad41154d94bc7cfceb\\include\\hdf5 -IC:\\Builds\\conan-data\\zlib\\1.2.13\\Foo\\stable\\package\\93eb657c0bdc072eb70724d8e06fa2ea84bb3a99\\include /EHsc /we4251 /we4996 /Zi /O2 /Ob2 /Oi /DNDEBUG -MD /GL  /Fosrc\\foo\\CMakeFiles\\Foo.dir\\sourcefile.cpp.obj /FdTARGET_COMPILE_PDB /FS -c \"C:\\Users\\Me\\OneDrive - Company\\Source\\Repos\\MyProject\\src\\foo\\sourcefile.cpp\"",
  "file": "C:\\Users\\Me\\OneDrive - Company\\Source\\Repos\\MyProject\\src\\foo\\sourcefile.cpp"
}

Does SonarLint not like the disparity in directory separators between the fields? Is it having a problem with the spaces in the paths?

Hi @braden - welcome to the community.

Does the SonarLint pane in the Output Window give any indication as to what is happening?

You can increase the verbosity of the logging (Tools, Options, SonarLint):

Verbose logging will give a lot of information about what the analyzer is doing.