SonarLint find different issues than SonarQube when using the same quality profile

  • Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
  • SonarLint plugin version: v3.13.0
  • Programming language you’re coding in: C++
  • Is connected mode used: Yes
    • Connected to SonarQube 8.9.3 (build 48735)


I’m using the SonarLint Extension in VSCode connected to our SonarQube server, we are using a custom Quality Profile and the rules seems to be well synchronized in VSCode.

My problem is that some issues raised in the SonarQube server aren’t raised with the SonarLint extension in VSCode and vice versa.

For example for the file below:



An issue is found by the rule cpp:S6045 in this file with SonarQube but none with SonarLint and this rule is activated in VSCode:

On the other hand, three issues are found by the rule cpp:S5817 in this file with SonarLint but none with SonarQube and the rule is also activated in SonarQube:

So I would like to know how we could synchronize the behaviour of the SonarQube Server and the SonarLint extension for the same rules.

Thank you

Hey there.

You’re using old versions of both SonarLint and SonarQube (the latest SonarLint for VS Code is v3.21, and currently the minimum supported version of SonarQube is v9.9 LTS).

Using supported versions of both should bring results closer in line.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the quick answer !

I wasn’t able to see the latest version of SonarLint because my VS Code was also on an old version.

Now that I’ve updated SonarLint to v3.21, there are no longer issues that are found by SonarLint and not by SonarQube.

The reverse is still true, some issues found by SonarQube are not found by SonarLint.

I’m not responsible for our SonarQube server, I’ve asked the maintainer to update it.

I’ll get back to you when it’s done.