SonarLint Eclipse hangs on "SonarLint Core Startup/ Backend initialization" after starting Eclipse

For a while now i cannot use the SonarLint Eclipse Plugin.

When i re-install it usually the next day my Eclipse does not complete the SonarLint Startup.
Whenever i want to change a file for example i get the popup “user operation waiting for background work to complete”

In this state Eclipse lets me uninstall the SonarLint-plugin and after that i can use Eclipse again.
Eclipse-Version is: 2023-12 (4.30.0)
SonarLint-Version is: 9.3

I also tried to delete .sonarlint folder in workspace but this does not solve the problem.

The SonarLint-Thread hangs on some Eclipse semaphore:

"Worker-7: SonarLint Core startup" #44 prio=5 os_prio=0 cpu=156.25ms elapsed=133.09s tid=0x000002a55caf9f70 nid=0x3094 in Object.wait()  [0x000000d6854fe000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(java.base@17.0.8.1/Native Method)
        - waiting on <no object reference available>
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Semaphore.acquire(Semaphore.java:45)
        - locked <0x000000038beb86b0> (a org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Semaphore)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.JobManager.join(JobManager.java:995)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.InternalJob.join(InternalJob.java:355)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.jobs.Job.join(Job.java:531)
        at org.sonarlint.eclipse.core.internal.backend.SonarLintBackendService.getBackend(SonarLintBackendService.java:163)
        at org.sonarlint.eclipse.core.internal.telemetry.SonarLintTelemetry.init(SonarLintTelemetry.java:97)
        at org.sonarlint.eclipse.core.internal.SonarLintCorePlugin$StartupJob.startTelemetry(SonarLintCorePlugin.java:126)
        at org.sonarlint.eclipse.core.internal.SonarLintCorePlugin$StartupJob.run(SonarLintCorePlugin.java:120)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

Full thread-dump is attached.
full.thread-dump.txt (65.8 KB)

Hi @cmei84,

thanks for reaching out to us on that issue.
We are already aware of such an issue and have a TICKET planned for the upcoming release.

I’ve seen that you’re running on Windows. We also had a closer look at a bug in the JDK, that might be linked. Could you please try running Eclipse with elevated rights (e.g. from a command prompt with administrator rights) with SonarLint installed to see if it still fails?
If it works in that case it is actually due to the bug on the JDK, nevertheless, for the next release, we will try to either fix it if it is an issue on our side or try to propose a workaround if it is a bug on the JDK side.

Best,
Tobias

Running Eclipse as administrator does not help.

2 posts were split to a new topic: SonarLint Server RPC sequential executor

I figured out what the cause of the issue is.
we recently renewed out Code Signing Certificates and the new ones require the usage of USB-Tokens and the related Software.

Uninstalling this software solves the problem.
We use SafeNet Authentication Client (link)

I don’t usually have to sing code locally so i can leave it removed for now.
i raised an issue on Guthub Hakky54/sslcontext-kickstart)
link

2 Likes

Hi @cmei84 ,

Thank you for providing us with the new information. Glad your problem was resolved.

Just to update you, we fixed the SLCORE-669 (we stopped loading the system certificates so it doesn’t block the SLCORE intitialization) and updated to the new version of sslcontext-kickstart. These will be available in the next release of :sonarlint_eclipse:.

Best,

Vojtech

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.