SonarCloud authorization failure on PR-triggered builds on DevOps

I have a pipeline in Azure DevOps which is triggered by PR requests. There are three SonarCloud tasks in this pipeline - Prepare analysis on SonarCloud, (my project build step here), Run Code Analysis and then Publish Quality Gate Result.

When this pipeline is triggered by a PR, it’s all fine until gets to the Run Code Analysis task, which then fails with the below error messages:

INFO: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
INFO: EXECUTION FAILURE
INFO: Total time: 9.173s
INFO: Final Memory: 7M/48M
##[error]ERROR: Error during SonarScanner execution
ERROR: Error during SonarScanner execution
##[error]ERROR: Not authorized. Please check the properties sonar.login and sonar.password.
ERROR:
ERROR: Not authorized. Please check the properties sonar.login and sonar.password.
ERROR: 
##[error]The SonarScanner did not complete successfully
The SonarScanner did not complete successfully
##[error]18:32:43.506  Post-processing failed. Exit code: 1
18:32:43.506  Post-processing failed. Exit code: 1

Here’s the thing: whenever this same pipeline is triggered NOT by a PR, either manually or automatically by a daily schedule, it runs and passes with no issues, on any branch. If I trigger the pipeline for the branch being pulled in (not via the PR), it runs and passes fine.

Why is authorization failing only when it’s triggered by a PR?! Why isn’t it using the same PAT token from SonarCloud that the SAME pipelines use when triggered manually and succeed??

I’ve tried issuing a new PAT from SonarCloud to Azure (deleted then re-added the service connection) and also removed and re-added the steps from the pipeline and removed and re-added the branch build policy which dictates this pipeline runs on PRs. None have made any difference.

Hi @ataraxia welcome to the community.

How did you create your organization / projects on SonarCloud. Did you have to enter an Azure DevOps token at very first step ?

Thanks.
Mickaël

1 Like

Hi,
We have the same issue this morning but only on pipeline runing on cloud agents !
This afternoon it’s working again…