Sonar scan fails with "Fail to parse entry in bootstrap index: <!DOCTYPE html>"

What am I using?

• SonarQube version: 8.9 Community edition installed as a docker container in a google cloud VM with an internal domain like https://sonarqube.internaldomain.com
  • Using the sonarqube-gradle-plugin 3.3 version as part of Android codebase.
  • JDK 11 on the Jenkins slave to perform the sonar scan and compilation of android codebase

What am I trying to achieve
I am trying to setup a nightly Jenkins job that will clone master branch of Android project, compile, run unit tests and run sonar scanner.

What does my configuration look like

gradle.properties file

# Sonarqube
systemProp.sonar.host.url=
systemProp.sonar.projectKey=Project-Key
systemProp.sonar.login=

build.gradle file

repositories {
        google()
        jcenter()
        mavenCentral()
        maven {
            url "https://plugins.gradle.org/m2/"
        }
    }

dependencies {
        classpath "org.sonarsource.scanner.gradle:sonarqube-gradle-plugin:3.3"
    }

apply plugin: "org.sonarqube"

sonarqube {
    properties {
        property "sonar.sourceEncoding", "UTF-8"
        property "sonar.kotlin.detekt.reportPaths", "$buildDir/reports/detekt.xml"
        property "sonar.java.coveragePlugin", "jacoco"
        property "sonar.jacoco.reportPath", "$buildDir/reports/jacoco/jacocoTestInternalDebugUnitTestReport/jacoco.xml"
    }
}

subprojects {
    sonarqube {
        properties {
            property "sonar.sources", "**/src/main/java"
            property "sonar.exclusions", "*.json,**/src/test/**/*,**/.gradle/**,**/R.class,*.proto"
            property "sonar.tests","**/src/test/java"
            property "sonar.coverage.exclusions","**/src/test/**/*,**/src/androidTest/**/*,test_common/**/*"
        }
    }
}

Jenkins job configuration

environment {
        SONARQUBE_LOGIN_TOKEN = read from credentials
    }
    stages {
        stage("Clean Workspace") {
            steps {
                cleanWs()
            }
        }
        stage("Checkout Android project") {
            steps {
                //perform checkout with git scm
            }
        }
        stage("Set properties") {
            steps {
                sh '''
                setProperty(){
                      awk -v pat="^$1=" -v value="$1=$2" '{ if ($0 ~ pat) print value; else print $0; }' $3 > $3.tmp
                      mv $3.tmp $3
                    }
                setProperty "systemProp.sonar.host.url" "${SONAR_URL}" gradle.properties
                setProperty "systemProp.sonar.login" "${SONARQUBE_LOGIN_TOKEN}" gradle.properties
                //This sets sonar properties in gradle.properties when the job runs. 
                //The values are passed via a Jenkins parameter and a jenkins credential.
                '''
            }
        }
        stage("Run unit tests") {
            steps {
                sh """
                ./gradlew testInternalDebugUnitTest
                """
            }
        }
        stage("Run detekt") {
            steps {
                sh """
                ./gradlew detektAll
                """
            }
        }
        stage("Run sonar scan") {
            steps {
                sh """
                ./gradlew sonarqube
                """
            }
        }
    }
}

What is the error?

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':sonarqube'.
> Unable to execute SonarScanner analysis

* Try:
> Run with --debug option to get more log output.
> Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Exception is:
org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task ':sonarqube'.

Caused by: org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.ScannerException: Unable to execute SonarScanner analysis
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.IsolatedLauncherFactory.lambda$createLauncher$0(IsolatedLauncherFactory.java:85)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to parse entry in bootstrap index: <!DOCTYPE html>
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.BootstrapIndexDownloader.parse(BootstrapIndexDownloader.java:59)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.BootstrapIndexDownloader.getIndex(BootstrapIndexDownloader.java:44)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.JarDownloader.getScannerEngineFiles(JarDownloader.java:58)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.JarDownloader.download(JarDownloader.java:53)
	at org.sonarsource.scanner.api.internal.IsolatedLauncherFactory.lambda$createLauncher$0(IsolatedLauncherFactory.java:76)
	... 124 more

How do I fix this?

• I already checked some related queries on this community.
  • I confirmed if it was a URL issue but the URL is correct.
  • I also checked if the /batch/index/ page returns some valid JAR information and it does
  • There are some simple java+maven based projects in the same Jenkins environment where sonar analysis works perfectly fine via sonar maven plugin.

Hi @ganncamp can you please help out here?

Hi,

As noted in the FAQ, please don’t @ people not already involved in your thread. It doesn’t prioritize your thread in the @-ed person’s queue. Just the opposite.

The error is telling you that analysis’ first call to the server isn’t returning the expected results. It’s likely that you’ve mis-configured the SonarQube URL.

HTH,
Ann