Sonar ignore issues by block not working

• ALM used: GitHub
  • CI system used: Circle CI
  • Scanner command used: sonar-scanner
  • Languages of the repository: C++
  • Error observed: no error is given, sonar just continues to scan the ignore issue block as if the regex isn’t there
  • Steps to reproduce: run scanner
  • Potential workaround: not clear

Per the title, sonarcloud’s ignore issues in blocks feature is not working as expected. Our beginning regex is \/\/ @SONAR_STOP@ and the end regex is \/\/ @SONAR_START@. We would like to use these tags in order to ignore a block of code that uses a third party library, however all the code between the comments // @SONAR_STOP and // @SONAR_START@ is still being scanned. We have also tried using SONAR_STOP, SONAR_START, @SONAR_STOP@, and @SONAR_START@ as tags based on various other forum responses on the issue, however none have worked.

Hi Jtbaird,

I just tested those regexes on a sample project and they do work correctly.

Please confirm that your Analysis Scope settings look like this:

And that you are indeed using the delimiters in the correct order. i.e.,

// @SONAR_STOP@
code to ignore
// @SONAR_START@

Hi Peeter Piegaze,

I tried exactly like you but it doesn’t work.
I’m working on a maven project with jdk11.
Do you know why it doesn’t work ?

Thanks for your return.

Regards.

Hello Nojiko75,

To help you with your problem, I would need to see a screenshot of your analysis scope settings and a listing of the code where the @SONAR_STOP and @SONAR_START comments are embedded.

Please note that the @SONAR_STOP comes before the @SONAR_START. Reversing them is a common error!

Hello Peeter Piegaze,

This is the screenshot of my analysis scope settings :

and a example of the code where the @SONAR_STOP and @SONAR_START comments are embedded :

/**
 * Close the container.
 */
public static void shutdown() {
    if (postgresContainer != null) { // @SONAR_STOP@
        postgresContainer.close();
        postgresContainer = null;
    }
} // @SONAR_START@

I also tried this code but it didn’t work:

/**
 * Close the container.
 */
public static void shutdown() {
    // @SONAR_STOP@
    if (postgresContainer != null) {
        postgresContainer.close();
        postgresContainer = null;
    }
}
// @SONAR_START@

Thank you for your help.

Hello @Nojiko75,

Using the same settings as you and similar positioning in a Java file for the comments I was able to test and found no problems.

The only thing I can think of is that elsewhere in your project, either in a sonar-project.properties file, in the pom.xml file or in the command line at the invocation of the scanner, you have parameters that override the UI settings of the form

sonar.issues.ignore.block.*

You can see a discussion of these parameters here: How to set sonar.issue.ignore.block in sonar-project.properties