Project can't have 2 modules with the following key

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of SonarQube Community EditionVersion 10.3 (build 82913) in a docker container. It is integrated with the self-hosted GitLab DevOps Platform.

As a first step I imported a project from GitLab. Then as described on the project Configure Analysis method GitLab CI, added below properties to the pom.xml file.

<properties>
  <sonar.projectKey>my_project_key</sonar.projectKey>
  <sonar.projectName>my_project</sonar.projectName>
  <sonar.qualitygate.wait>true</sonar.qualitygate.wait>
</properties>

Also added below content to .gitlab-ci.yml file.

stages:
    - sonarqube-check

sonarqube-check:
  stage: sonarqube-check
  image: maven:3-eclipse-temurin-17
  variables:
    SONAR_USER_HOME: "${CI_PROJECT_DIR}/.sonar"  # Defines the location of the analysis task cache
    GIT_DEPTH: "0"  # Tells git to fetch all the branches of the project, required by the analysis task
  cache:
    key: "${CI_JOB_NAME}"
    paths:
      - .sonar/cache
  script: 
    - mvn verify sonar:sonar
  allow_failure: true
  only:
    - merge_requests
    - main

When GitLab CI executes the build job it fails with the below error.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.10.0.2594:sonar (default-cli) on project shabdkosh: Project 'my_project_key' can't have 2 modules with the following key: my_project_key -> [Help 1]

Looks like SonarQube is trying to create another project rather than using the one that is already created with key my_project_key.

How can I overcome this issue?

Regards,
Vinod

I removed the <sonar.projectKey> property from the pom.xml and ran the CI job again. This time the job ran successfully and created a new project with key "groupId:artifactId" as defined in the pom.xml. Then ran the CI job once more and it again completed successfully updating the project’s analysis results.

Then I updated the <sonar.projectKey> property value as "groupId:artifactId" in the pom.xml. The subsequent CI job fails with the same error.

Failed to execute goal sonar-maven-plugin (default-cli) on project can't have 2 modules with the following key

Looks like property <sonar.projectKey> must be avoided in the pom.xml for Maven projects.

This is contrary to the configuration instructions mentioned on the project home page.

Another point. The project information page has this info next to the project key.
ProjectKey

Though the auto generated key for the project imported from GitLab, does not follow this instruction.

But after removing the key I am getting below error.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

Could you provide that analysis log, please?

The analysis / scanner log is what’s output from the analysis command. Hopefully, the log you provide - redacted as necessary - will include that command as well.

This guide will help you find them.

Ann

Most probably the token that you are using does not have permission to analyse the project. Check the token details at /account/security URL of your sonarqube installation.

You may create a token either specifically for the project or a global one. The global token will have permission on all projects.

1 Like

Hello Ann,

Attached is the output of mvn -X sonar:sonar -Dsonar.host.url=https://myserver/ -Dsonar.token=my_token command.

Project key is specified in the pom.xml.

<sonar.projectKey>project_key</sonar.projectKey>

sonar.log.zip (16.1 KB)

Regards,
Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the log.

When you analyze without explicitly specifying sonar.projectKey, then a [group_id]:[project_id] key is automatically formed. I see that when you specify a project key manually, you use shabdkosh. So I need to ask: is there a module (or some other component) in your project with that same name?

Thx,
Ann

Hello Ann,

Here is the relevant content from the parent pom.xml of the multi-module maven project.

<groupId>bharat.amarkosh</groupId>
<artifactId>shabdkosh</artifactId>
<version>${revision}</version>
<packaging>pom</packaging>
<name>अमरकोश</name>

<properties>
	<sonar.projectKey>bharat.amarkosh:shabdkosh</sonar.projectKey>
	<sonar.projectName>अमरकोश.भारत</sonar.projectName>
	<sonar.qualitygate.wait>true</sonar.qualitygate.wait>
</properties>

<modules>
	<module>common</module>
	<module>phonetic</module>
	<module>dictionary</module>
	<module>dictionary-edit</module>
	<module>games</module>
	<module>user</module>
	<module>teacher</module>
	<module>subscription</module>
	<module>app-services</module>
	<module>scheduled-tasks</module>
	<module>website</module>
</modules>

Sonar analysis is run against this pom. If I remove <sonar.projectKey>bharat.amarkosh:shabdkosh</sonar.projectKey> from the pom.xml then analysis works fine.

Regards,
Vinod

1 Like

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for confirming. I’m going to flag this for more expert eyes.

Ann

1 Like

Hello @Vinod_Singh,

Thank you for bringing up this issue. I was able to reproduce the problem and there is indeed a bug in the Scanner for Maven. You can track the progress on [MSONAR-205] - Jira.

At the moment the problem happens when sonar.projectKey is defined in the root pom, or when passed as a user property, i.e. -Dsonar.projectKey. I would suggest you to not set the property in the cases mentioned above. As mentioned in the documentation the scanner will populate the property from the groupId and the artifactId.

It seems that the property can be set in the sub-modules, just make sure that each sub-module has a different value!

Cheers,
Angelo