SonarQube : 220.127.116.11497
SonarLint : 18.104.22.168703
Intellij IDEA : 2021.1.3
Scanner : 3.1.1
We are maintaining a quite large code base (2M+ LOC) which is organised in a gradle multi-module project with ~40 modules. There are individual responsibilities for some modules tied to one or a couple of colleagues. Which is the reason, that we used the SonarQube support for modules quite heavily - until it was dropped in release 7.6. Well, as an SonarQube-Advocate in our organisation, I’d like to recommend some replacement and came to the “directory search”. But in my opinion the directory search doesn’t behave like one could expect.
When I initially open the directory , I see 15 directories sorted descending by the number of issues within these directores, which is fine for me:
But when I try to search for a specific directory, there is apparently no sorting and I don’t see actually what I’m looking for - the directories with the most issues:
I have some issues with this behavior:
- Why are the directories with the most issues not shown anymore?
- Why can’t I sort this by the number of issues in a folder? Maybe that could bring up the folders with the most issues?
- Why are now “30 of 41 shown”? I would have expected many more directories in total - not only 41! And I would have expected only 15 to be shown initially!
- Why are all the directories shown having no single issue? Searching for directories in this view, I’m only interested in directories containing issues!
- Why are the directories with the most issues, containing my search string, are not shown at all anymore - even if I click on “Show More”:
I’m aware of https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONAR-12771, which would be a quite good replacement for the former modules, but even then, I would expect the following in the directory search:
- There should be a possibility to hide directories without issues.
- Really all directories containing the search string should be presented - maybe initially only 15, but with the possibility to expand to all or to a maximum number (maybe 100) of search results.
- The search result should be ordered descending by the number of issues, or it should be possible to set the sort order based on the number if issues whithin a directory.
- The user should be able to define whether the search string is applied on a complete directory name or if partial matches should be presented too.
Coming back to my initial problem - the dropped support for modules in SonarQube, I have one more question: Is anyone aware of a plugin implementing the module support?
Just to prevent a misleading impression: I’m very fond of SonarQube and of the integration of SonarQube in our build process and in our IDE. I just would like to have some support for modules and I appreciate any support on this topic.