Nerving popup even there exists a configuration in project

Please provide

• Operating system: Windows 10-64bit
  • SonarLint plugin version: 7.12
  • Programming language you’re coding in: Java
  • Is connected mode used:
    • Connected to SonarCloud or SonarQube (and which version): SonarQube version 9.9.1

And a thorough description of the problem / question: Every time I import a project into eclipse the SonarLint popup appears with question if I want to bind and so on.
This is nerving in case the projects are configured to use a server connection and also if they are configured not to use SonarLint. Is there a possibility to disable this

1 Like

Hello @bieneck_c1,

thank you for reaching out to us :sonarlint: As you’re referring to the issue happening on importing a project into the workspace while the global settings have a server connection configured: Currently, there is no option to disable the binding suggestion.

In order to further understand your needs, may I ask you if you’d only like to have like an option per project to disable the binding suggestion for this very project from now on or to disable it globally so you’re fully in charge of handling the binding of projects yourself.
Based on your answer we’d check on how to proceed.

Best,
Tobias from SonarLint for Eclipse

Hi Tobias,
thanks for the information. It would be enough that SonarLint uses the project options. You have a parameter for disabling bindig suggestion per project but the plugin ignores it. That is esspically nerving because in some cases the automatic binding doesn’t work very well and cretates wrong configuration. You can fix it manually but it is the same sa with the popup. While importing the project the setting are automatically overwritten and the wrong mappings are set again. So all developer has to know that and restore files from repo.
So, because this is a second thing question to you. Should a create a new topic for that.
So our needs are: If a project has SonarLint settings available, don’t show the popup and don’t overwrite the binding automatically.

Best wishes,

Christian

Hi @bieneck_c1,

based on your feedback I created a ticket for us to tackle in the upcoming future.

Best,
Tobias from SonarLint for Eclipse

Hi Tobias,

question. I have seen that the plugin for VSCode and IntelliJ is creating only one configuration file in top level project folder only with a connectionId and projectKey.
Why it’s so different for Eclipse?

Best

Christian

Hi @bieneck_c1,

if you’re referring to projects using build systems like Maven or Gradle, IntelliJ will store them only in one place which is correct, Eclipse on the other hand will count every (sub-)project on its own by default.
So this behavior is expected from Eclipse and not linked to SonarLint as it either operates on an application or project-based level which is not hierarchical in Eclipse.

Hierarchy, e.g. in a Maven or Gradle project, is only visible in Eclipse due to the external plugins providing the support.
This on the other hand allows SonarLint in Eclipse to operate more freely, you can configure SonarLint differently for (sub-)projects. And that is the reason for us having configuration files per project, if you generate Eclipse files for multi-project Gradle projects it will be the same, with each project having its own separate settings file for each plugin (e.g. JDT for Java projects).

Best,
Tobias

1 Like