Mixed C/C++ Project: C++ rules applied to included C headers

I have a mixed C++/C project. The C sources are always included with surrounding extern "C" { #include "cHeader.h" }.

The problem is I’m getting C++ rules (such as cpp:S5416 "using” should be preferred for type aliasing) applied to C header that I (directly or indirectly) include in C++ files.

Is this a known issue or is there any workaround or preferred way of handling this?

SonarQube server 8.9.0, SonarScanner 4.6.1.2450, sonar.cfamily

1 Like

Hello @Sidelobe ,

Thank you for reporting this. Does this happen with many rules?
Header files are analyzed in the context of the compilation unit that was built. So if the header is included in a C++ file, it will be analyzed with C++ rules (even though it is surrounded with extern "C"). We understand this is a problem in your case and we’ll keep it in mind to improve that.

For the time being, I can think of two possible workarounds (and I apologize in advance, I know they are not ideal):

• If this problem does not occur for many files, you can exclude the files from the analysis (using sonar.exclusions for example). You can also exclude some rules for some files (see " Ignore Issues on Multiple Criteria" paragraph in Documentation: Narrowing the Focus)

• Otherwise, you can do 2 different analysis based on the same build-wrapper output. One analysis would be only for *.c and *.h files, and the other one would be for *.cpp only, excluding *.h files that are related to *.c files

Hello @Amelie

Thanks for your reply – it does not happen with too many rules, from what I can tell.

Other ‘culprits’ I have:

• cpp:S3642 Scoped enumerations should be used
  • cpp:IdentifierLongerThan31 (this one happens a loooot – since C functions have to include a unique namespace prefix)

I think explicitly adding this to the .properties file improved the situation a little bit:
sonar.c.file.suffixes=.c,.h
sonar.cpp.file.suffixes=.cpp,.hpp

I was under the impression this was the default anyway.

About the second option you suggest: would this basically mean calling the scanner twice with 2 .properties files? I guess I should use different project keys in this scenario, so the results don’t overwrite each other, right?

Okay, thanks for the information!

Yes, the suffixes you have written down are supposed to be the default ones (you can check what they are in your SonarQube instance: Administration at the top > Languages > Select “C / C++ / Objective-C”).

About the second option:
Yes exactly.
If you have set your options in a “sonar-project.properties” file, you can create two different “*.properties” files and call sonar-scanner with each one of them
eg: sonar-scanner -Dproject.settings=myproject.properties

Thanks Amélie

Just one final clarification: if I call the scanner twice with two different .properties files, can I use the same project key for both or will the results overwrite each other?

And to make it more generic, let’s assume that for some reason, the files scanned in each of the scanner runs are not 2 disjoint sets, but there is some overlap (some files are scanned by both runs). Would the ‘last scanner’ to run win in this case?

if I call the scanner twice with two different .properties files, can I use the same project key for both or will the results overwrite each other?

With the same project key for both analysis, the results will overwrite each other. The project key must be unique in a SonarQube instance.

Would the ‘last scanner’ to run win in this case?

If you have two different project keys, you will have two different analysis that will not impact each other. It does not matter that there is some code overlap. In that case, the issues may be reported two times: once in each analysis.
If you have one single project key, only the results of the last scanner will appear in SonarQube. Even if there is no code overlap.

HTH

1 Like

That’s very helpful, thank you.

The best way would then be to have 2 scans with 2 keys – one for C, one for C++ (no overlap).
Then I could aggregate the analysis results from 2 projects in the SonarQube web interface.

I’ll continue as I have for now (single scan for both C/C++) and will consider eventually splitting if these corner cases (C++ rules applied to included C headers) get too numerous.

Glad I could help :slightly_smiling_face:
And thanks for the update

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.