IndexOutOfBoundsException in S2141 and AST processing

Hi everybody,
after updgrading the Java plugin from 5.10.01 to 5.11 in SQ 6.7.6 we are hitting an IndexOutOfBoundsException:

**08:46:24** Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 
**08:46:24** at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657) 
**08:46:24** at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433) 
**08:46:24** at org.sonar.java.checks.ClassWithoutHashCodeInHashStructureCheck.visitNode(ClassWithoutHashCodeInHashStructureCheck.java:54)

I am currently trying to get the problem reproduced, but it will take some time to get a minimun example.

KR, Oliver

As I wanted to reproduce the problem on my local machine with SQ 6.7.6 and Java Plugin 5.11, I ran into seemingly similar problems with different files:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657)
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433)
        at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveClassType(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:428)

and

at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeSubstitutionSolver.getReturnType(TypeSubstitutionSolver.java:106)

In the first case symbols.classType.getSymbol().typeVariableTypes is an empty ArrayList, in the second case classSymbol.typeVariableTypes is also an empty ArrayList.

Do you have any idea what might cause these problems? I am currently still lost since the analysis did work correctly before upgarding the Java plugin.

KR, Oliver

I managed to trigger the exception with the following simple class:

public class Test1 {
    private static final String NAME = Test1.class.getSimpleName();
}

resulting in the following exception:

[ERROR] 14:38:13.439 Unable to create symbol table for : C:\work\test-project\src\main\java\Test1.java
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveClassType(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:428)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:382)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:371)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:364)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveMethodSymbol(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:341)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitMethodInvocation(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:236)
	at org.sonar.java.model.expression.MethodInvocationTreeImpl.accept(MethodInvocationTreeImpl.java:96)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:408)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:371)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:364)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitVariable(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:909)
	at org.sonar.java.model.declaration.VariableTreeImpl.accept(VariableTreeImpl.java:185)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:40)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:34)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitClass(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:144)
	at org.sonar.java.model.declaration.ClassTreeImpl.accept(ClassTreeImpl.java:202)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:40)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:34)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.visitCompilationUnit(BaseTreeVisitor.java:52)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.SemanticModel.createFor(SemanticModel.java:66)
	at org.sonar.java.model.VisitorsBridge.visitFile(VisitorsBridge.java:121)
	at org.sonar.java.ast.JavaAstScanner.simpleScan(JavaAstScanner.java:96)
	at org.sonar.java.ast.JavaAstScanner.scan(JavaAstScanner.java:68)
	at org.sonar.java.JavaSquid.scanSources(JavaSquid.java:113)
	at org.sonar.java.JavaSquid.scan(JavaSquid.java:107)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.JavaSquidSensor.execute(JavaSquidSensor.java:92)

Doe anybody have any idea what might be the underlying problem?

KR, Oliver

Hi,

The current version is 5.12.1. Could you upgrade and try again?

Ann

Hi Ann,

we found the culprit. As sson as we got rid of the following dependency, the analysis went through (at least in my local test):

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.core</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.eclipse.core.runtime</artifactId>
      <version>3.6.0.v20100505</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

Version 5.12.1 exhibits the same behaviour.

KR, Oliver

Thanks for the followup Olivier. Glad you got this sorted out.

You’re welcome.
But it is still a mistery that adding a dependency leads to exceptions in the SQ analysis. And this did not happen in 5.10, as the dependecy was already in use then.

KR, Oliver

I suspect that your code transitively depends on a class within this jar (or in one of its dependency) that makes the analyzer raise this index out of bound.
This might be hard to solve without identifying the class causing the trouble.

In order to investigate this could you try to share a small project reproducing the issue ?

Given what you have stated regarding sonarjava version (trouble starts with upgrade to sonarjava 5.11) it is likely due to : https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARJAVA-2957 or https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARJAVA-2912

I managed to reproduce the problem with the following project:

A simple class Test1.java:

public class Test1 {
    private static final String NAME = Test1.class.getSimpleName();
}

and the corresponding POM:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">     
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.company</groupId>
  <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <artifactId>sonarqube-test</artifactId>
  <name>Test</name>
  <properties>
    <sonar.log.level>DEBUG</sonar.log.level>
    <sonar.verbose>true</sonar.verbose>
  </properties>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.core</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.eclipse.core.runtime</artifactId>
      <version>3.6.0.v20100505</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>
 </dependencies>
</project>

KR,
Oliver

hello @revilo,

I created following ticket to track this issue https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARJAVA-3167 , I tried to investigate the root issue, however it seems to be quite difficult. We plan to rework our semantic engine, and I believe this will be fixed in the rework eventually.