IndexOutOfBoundsException in S2141 and AST processing

java
(Oliver Brandt) #1

Hi everybody,
after updgrading the Java plugin from 5.10.01 to 5.11 in SQ 6.7.6 we are hitting an IndexOutOfBoundsException:

**08:46:24** Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0 
**08:46:24** at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657) 
**08:46:24** at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433) 
**08:46:24** at org.sonar.java.checks.ClassWithoutHashCodeInHashStructureCheck.visitNode(ClassWithoutHashCodeInHashStructureCheck.java:54)

I am currently trying to get the problem reproduced, but it will take some time to get a minimun example.

KR, Oliver

(Oliver Brandt) #2

As I wanted to reproduce the problem on my local machine with SQ 6.7.6 and Java Plugin 5.11, I ran into seemingly similar problems with different files:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:657)
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:433)
        at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveClassType(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:428)

and

at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeSubstitutionSolver.getReturnType(TypeSubstitutionSolver.java:106)

In the first case symbols.classType.getSymbol().typeVariableTypes is an empty ArrayList, in the second case classSymbol.typeVariableTypes is also an empty ArrayList.

Do you have any idea what might cause these problems? I am currently still lost since the analysis did work correctly before upgarding the Java plugin.

KR, Oliver

(Oliver Brandt) #3

I managed to trigger the exception with the following simple class:

public class Test1 {
    private static final String NAME = Test1.class.getSimpleName();
}

resulting in the following exception:

[ERROR] 14:38:13.439 Unable to create symbol table for : C:\work\test-project\src\main\java\Test1.java
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveClassType(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:428)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:382)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:371)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:364)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveMethodSymbol(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:341)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitMethodInvocation(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:236)
	at org.sonar.java.model.expression.MethodInvocationTreeImpl.accept(MethodInvocationTreeImpl.java:96)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:408)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:371)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.resolveAs(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:364)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitVariable(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:909)
	at org.sonar.java.model.declaration.VariableTreeImpl.accept(VariableTreeImpl.java:185)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:40)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:34)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.TypeAndReferenceSolver.visitClass(TypeAndReferenceSolver.java:144)
	at org.sonar.java.model.declaration.ClassTreeImpl.accept(ClassTreeImpl.java:202)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:40)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.scan(BaseTreeVisitor.java:34)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.api.tree.BaseTreeVisitor.visitCompilationUnit(BaseTreeVisitor.java:52)
	at org.sonar.java.resolve.SemanticModel.createFor(SemanticModel.java:66)
	at org.sonar.java.model.VisitorsBridge.visitFile(VisitorsBridge.java:121)
	at org.sonar.java.ast.JavaAstScanner.simpleScan(JavaAstScanner.java:96)
	at org.sonar.java.ast.JavaAstScanner.scan(JavaAstScanner.java:68)
	at org.sonar.java.JavaSquid.scanSources(JavaSquid.java:113)
	at org.sonar.java.JavaSquid.scan(JavaSquid.java:107)
	at org.sonar.plugins.java.JavaSquidSensor.execute(JavaSquidSensor.java:92)

Doe anybody have any idea what might be the underlying problem?

KR, Oliver

(G Ann Campbell) #4

Hi,

The current version is 5.12.1. Could you upgrade and try again?

Ann

(Oliver Brandt) #5

Hi Ann,

we found the culprit. As sson as we got rid of the following dependency, the analysis went through (at least in my local test):

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.eclipse.core</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.eclipse.core.runtime</artifactId>
      <version>3.6.0.v20100505</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

Version 5.12.1 exhibits the same behaviour.

KR, Oliver

(G Ann Campbell) #6

Thanks for the followup Olivier. Glad you got this sorted out.

(Oliver Brandt) #8

You’re welcome.
But it is still a mistery that adding a dependency leads to exceptions in the SQ analysis. And this did not happen in 5.10, as the dependecy was already in use then.

KR, Oliver