Humble request for guidance concerning design of Qualityprofiles/Projects

Dear all,

i am looking for interesting inputs concerning the design of Qualityprofiles. (And sorry for the coming wall of text :blush:) My concern is the following:

What is a better way for me to separate the display of “a projects quality” (in sq-server) from the display of “things to work on” (in project-synced sonarlint)? (think: assessing different “dimensions” of quality)

I am currently assessing the quality of one codebase in three profiles in SQ. I named these profiles “buildbreaker”, “fixit” and “kitchensink”.

The “Buildbreaker”

is used to check the minimal baseline (aka Qualitygate for build pipelines) a.k.a. “Must have”

The “Fixit”

is used to advise developers via sonarlint sync as to which findings are (in addition to buildbeaker) fix-worthy a.k.a. “Nice to have and encouraged to work on”

The “Kitchensink”

is used to be a boyscout radar to see what things possible are available to inspect

I think

• that if i also want to to keep a picture of changes over time, i cannot configure the same project with different profiles to see the different results

• checking the same sq-project with different profiles would probably make the sonarlint-sync rather hectic (which would make devs rather mad )

After all, configuring this three different projects to get different results is a bit more hassle, but not a real bummer. The real culprit is that this way of doing things leads to a tripled sourcecode-linecount in the Administration/System view.

I would like to find a way to get the mentioned profiles different information but only count source-lines once, not thrice as the source-line-count-amount defines the amount of $$$ to hand over for moar features to sonarsource in DE or EE (Developer Edition / Enterprise Edition).

I currently work with the CE (Community Edition) so that is no concern, yet … but what if i would like to switch?

Maybe someone had this problem already? Or someone maybe has consulted ppl and might be able to chime in with some drops of knowledge? Or the solution is an easy one i just cannot envision?

Thank you for reading this far and TIA for any input at all!

cheers
Daniel

Greetings Daniel,

Analysing the same project with different Quality Profiles (or various “levels” of Quality Profiles) is not something really promoted or supported.

With a Quality Profile you’re setting clear quality expectations for the code being written, and with a Quality Gate you’re making sure those quality expectations are being met.

I’d encourage you to design them in a way so that every result in SonarQube/SonarLint is impactful and relevant to your developers right now.

Since your developers are already using SonarLint – it should be easy for them to follow the Clean as You Code methodology (focus on New Code being written, not Old Code). No need to distinguish between “Must-Have” and “Nice-to-have” rules… just the requirements your organisation has for code quality.

Still, there’s some room for additional configuration (more than just “which rules”) that can specific to your needs. You can also adjust the severity of rules when you activate them in a Quality Profile (so the “nice-to-have” rules could be bumped down to info or minor level, while the “must-have” rules keep a higher severity).

Quality Gates can also adjusted based on your needs (for example, if you don’t want new minor bugs to have an impact on the quality gate, but still want them raised for developer’s attention… you can adjust the Quality Gate as needed to not fail, but those issues will still show up in SonarQube/SonarLint)

I hope this information is useful.

Colin

2 Likes

Hi Colin,

indeed your information is useful. Also it is well appreciated that you, too, took the time to write it all out in detail! :slight_smile:

I made a (tiny but impactful) mistake while describing our setup … i did set up three projects … and each is checking the same codebase with a different Qualityprofile.

My concern is, that each mentioned profile-/projecttype serves a (different) purpose. And i am trying to reason about the validity of my design.

• Do i need to design the projects the way i did?
  • Is there a way to structure the whole process differently?

In my view it is suboptimal - like you mentioned, too - to check subsequently a single projects codebase with different rulesets. You also suggested some valid venues to think about changing our ways. Please let me describe what surfaced in my mind after reading your suggestions:

So when i have

• people that want a go/nogo decision (qualitygate build pipeline)
  • people that want a “what should i treat important enough to work on” (devs binding their sonarlint to)
  • people that want a overview of “what could possibly be a finding?” (more managerial view)

how do i cater their needs?

I could configure a project that has qualitygates that can be used for “go/nogo” so jenkins can use that … but how do i solve the different needs of

• we do NOT want to see this rule inside our IDE because it clutters and i lose guidance what to work on"
    vs.
  • we DO want to see this rule inside the SQ-Dashboard (server) because $managerialReason

Also - as a sidenote - i stumbled upon this post … i have not dug into the configurability of sonarlint too deep yet.

But for example >> changing the severity of all rules i do not want to see in the IDE << would rely on myself digressing from “the sonar way” for example … which would hurt in the long run (profile inheritance, maintenance, …)

i hope that you, too, find this information/questions interesting, too as it shows some thoughts that consumers of your fine product might juggle around with :slight_smile:

cheers and TIA for taking the time!
Daniel