How-to transfer an account to a different authentication method

Hi,

• I am the administrator of a SonarQube enterprise instance (version 8.9.3) and try to setup our internal GitLab instance as SSO.
  • Right now we use the same LDAP tree for authentication in both SonarQube and GitLab.
  • I now managed to setup the integration of GitLab and SonarQube ALM basically, however am struggeling with the issue in the summary.
  • Whenever an existing user is trying to login via GitLab, they get the message:

You’re not authorized to access this page. Please contact the administrator.
Reason: This account is already associated with another authentication method. Sign in using the current authentication method, or contact your administrator to transfer your account to a different authentication method.

How do I transfer the account? I did not find hints in the documentation.

Thanks for any answers
Mirko

1 Like

Hey @mfriedenhagen

Checkout this Community Guide. It should be a helpful starting point.

Hi @Colin,

thanks for the link, definitely helpful.

Maybe you could adapt the wording in the error message? When I search for “migrate sonarqube authentication” I now get a link to https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/instance-administration/delegated-auth/ which I missed before.

The error message speaks of “transfer” instead of “migrate” and so just “googling” for the error message did not help me :slight_smile:.

Best Regards
Mirko

Hi @Colin, coming back here:

• Unfortunately the user-ids I get via the GitLab integration are completely different from ones I had before via LDAP.
  • It seems SonarQube uses a concatenation of the first- and lastname where any non-ASCII characters are stripped together with a random integer as login.
  • In our LDAP we generally have first-character-firstname + lastname as login.
  • After I had transfered/migrated my user I was unable to login at all, neither GitLab nor LDAP did succeed.

Coming back to this:

• It is very important not to deactivate an account, then a fresh account with the new login is created.
  • If you did this, you need to deactivate the new account and recreate the old one with old login with api/users/create again.