Finer settings for SCM

As stated here, SCM integration has 3 features:

• Automatic Issue Assignment
  • Code annotation (blame data) in the Code Viewer
  • SCM-driven detection of new code

Can we enable/disable these feature independently?

Background:
We want detection of new code, but we have privacy reservation about the other features. We would rather not upload this personal data to another tool/server.
We could probably anonymize the repo before running the scanner, but this seems overkill, also the commit ids would not fit any longer!

SonarQube Enterprise Edition Version 9.9.1 (build 69595)
SonarScanner 4.7.0.2747

Hi,

You can’t disable them all independently, but you can disable the one you care about:

You’ll find that under global Administration → General.

To be clear, I believe you’ll still see full blame data in the marginal information. So it can still be assembled if you’re really determined. But it would be a fair bit of work.

HTH,
Ann

Looks like this setting has no effect. I set it via sonar.properties and blame with names still appears.
I have no access to admin settings!

Hi,

It’s a server setting. You would need global admin privs to use it.

Ann

We set this on the servers. Still does show developer email addresses :frowning:

Hi,

Where are you seeing it?

Thx,
Ann

In the code view of a sq webinterface

Hi,

Yes, that’s this part:

What it turns off is the aggregation / searchability in the Issues page search facet:
Selection_1369

Ann

Ok, thanks :frowning:

Can you turn my initial question into a feature request? I would greatly appreciate not having to deal with GRDP, Workers council and more…

1 Like

Hi,

I’m happy to move this to the Product Manager for a Day category for you.

Could you please provide full details on why the existing feature isn’t suitable for your needs, and what you do need?

Also, since SonarQube is merely reflecting the data that’s there in the SCM, it would be helpful to know explicitly why that’s a problem.

Thx,
Ann

OK, here you go. I hope this is Product Manager compatible:

We have problems with getting SQ-issues into our PRs, but those SQ-issues are in files, that we did not touch in that PR. See 101554.

The proposed solution for this is to turn on SCM, which works as expected. However, I cannot turn it on because of legal implications following.
With enabled SCM, we upload sensivitve personal data (Name, mail) to SQ. In our company we have rules that do not allow this unless other rules are followed. I am no legal expert and I do not want to become one. I just know that it is problematic to upload this data to another server or tool. You are correct, that all the information is already in git and the git hoster (Azure Devops) but I did not introduce that and therefore I am not reliable. I would be reliable if I upload it to SonarQube.

Therefore I would prefer if I could use SCM, but it did not upload names and mails. It could upload hashes, as they contain no personal information.
I think, the best way to support this to make the three already separately documented features of SCM separately configurable:

• Automatic Issue Assignment
  • Code annotation (blame data) in the Code Viewer
  • SCM-driven detection of new code
1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the details. That should at least get them started, but I can’t guarantee they won’t have more questions when they show up.

Thx,
Ann

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to explain your need related to the SCM integration.

Regarding your previous post, there is something I need to understand:
Since the data is already sent to Azure DevOps and git, why is it a problem regarding SonarQube? Why isn’t it the same policy?

I really point out that not sending names and mails to SQ would break the value of the product, essentially regarding collaboration.

Thanks,

Alexander

I don’t know how git and azure devops got through the process. I don’t even know which process is needed.

Our SQ Admin also does not not know, therefore he disabled SCM. We’d rather let sleeping dogs lie and not upload any personal data.

We know that we limit ourselfs by doing this, but on the other side, I am not interested in this at all. I did not even know thinks like auto assignment exist. I am only interested in a good detection of changes in a PR.

A final sad notice: At our company SQ is treated like a ugly step sister. No one wants to bother with it, no one looks at the reports. No one will look at open issues and fix them by themself. Therefore I want to enable PR annotations which will force people to look at their issues. However, I have to be careful that there are no false issues (on unchanged files), otherwise my addition will be criticized and removed instantly. I have to work with baby steps here to not anger other devs. And automatic issue assignment is not a baby step imo.

1 Like

Hi @KUGA2,

Thank you very much for the details you provided.
We take into consideration your needs. It is the first we got this feedback so for now it will not be a short-term priority. It might be in the future though.

Regarding that topic, could you elaborate? Why SQ is treated like an ugly sister? Why the value is not recognized by the developers?

Thanks,

Alexander

Developers do not like it because we have a lot of legacy code with a lot of issues. Simple changes follow a lot of SQ changes. And fixing one SQ issue brings 2 new ones. We can not finish stories as fast as before.
This problem is increased with incomplete detection of changed lines.

Hi @KUGA2 ,

Thanks for the explanation here.
We really encourage our users to focus on new code and not spending time on legacy code. We introduced inside our products the Clean as Your Code methodology. Here is a blog post and some documentation that will help you understand the concept and how you can apply it.

Alexander

I know this, and I would like to but I cannot because detection does not work without scm and scm processes to much personal information!