False Positive: S4275 - Getters and setters should access the expected fields

Sonarcloud considers the following VB.NET code a critical bug (actually two ones) under the
“S4275 - Getters and setters should access the expected fields” rule:

Class A
    Private Property x As Integer
    Public Property X As Integer
        Get
            Return x
        End Get
        Set(ByVal value As Integer)
            x = value
        End Set
    End Property
End Class

(notice the additional “Property” in the second line)

I assume considering this a critical bug is a false positive, but what exactly is the impact of this error?

Hi @sh4d0v1,

Welcome to our community! The provided reproducer doesn’t compile, because you can’t have two properties named x and X at the same time. There’s probably some copy/paste glitch.

Can you please edit the post to demonstrate the original issue?

Thanks

Hi @Pavel_Mikula,

yes, of course that does not compile, sorry. I was not posting a real example but it should have been a version reduced to my point. Just imagine the upper ‘X’ to be a lower one. (I can’t seem to find the edit function anymore?)

The intended point was the ‘Property’ in line 2. It will trigger the rule.

Edit:
Here the code as I meant it, for easy copy and paste:

Class A
    Private Property x As Integer
    Public Property x As Integer
        Get
            Return x
        End Get
            x = value
        End Set
    End Property
End Class

Thanks, now I see the problem! We have these wrong examples in the rule description itself. We’ll fix that.

What the rule should detect are cases like this - you have a field ready for the property, but you by accident or copy/paste mistake use some other one.

Class A
    Private _x As Integer
    Private _y As Integer

Get
            Return _y     ' Noncompliant, _x field should be used in X property
        End Get
            _y = value    ' Noncompliant, _x field should be used in X property
        End Set
    End Property

End Class

Yes, I got what the rule meant to check. I was adding that the rule also triggers on a different bug, namely an additional “Property”, and am curious to know if this is just a minor thing the compiler seems to ignore anyway, or if this has more impact.

Having compilable example like this where property Y returns value of another property even when there exists a private field _y looks like the same copy/paste issue.

So I think it makes sense for the rule to trigger on this

Public Class Sample

Private _y As Integer

Public Property Y As Integer
        Get
            Return X
        End Get
        Set(value As Integer)
            X = value
        End Set
    End Property

End Class

No, that’s not the issue I mean.

Please try to compile the following (should compile successfully).

The only issue here is the “Property” in the “Private Property x As Integer” line (line 2).
It triggers the rule too, which is a false positive, at least for the definition of the rule.
That redundant “Property” is very easy to miss, and I would like to know if that is an issue, or just something the compiler ignores anyway.

It does not compile with two compilation errors:

BC30269	'Private Property x As Integer' has multiple definitions with identical signatures.
BC30521	Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'x' is most specific for these arguments:
    'Private Property x As Integer': Not most specific.
    'Public Property x As Integer': Not most specific.

Pavel you are making me look bad here :smiley:

Looks like I can’t even write a very basic piece of code, but give me one last chance to show what I mean, this time real code I found:

Class A
    Private Property _realName As String
    Public Property RealName() As String
        Get
            Return _realName
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            _realName = value
        End Set
    End Property
End Class

This triggers two times rule vbnet:S4275, "Refactor this getter/setter so that it actually refers to the field ‘__realName’ ".
This is wrong, while the actual issue is the second line.

Hi @sh4d0v1,

Now I see the issue raised :slight_smile: Thanks for following up on the topic.

Why was it raised?

You now have an auto-property _realName. And compiler-generated backing field called __realName. That one is not visible in the code and intelli-sense, but it exists and you can use it (notice the double underscore):

Public Property RealName() As String
        Get
            Return __realName
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            __realName = value
        End Set
    End Property

The rule message complains about this __realName field because property RealName doesn’t use an existing field with the same name as the property (ignoring leading underscores)

Understanding your code

Why is there private auto property in the example? Does it have some purpose or was it intended to be a field instead and the S4275 was just a difficult way how to discover it?

If you intended to have a private field instead, would you like to have a new code smell rule like Use field instead when private auto-property is used?

Why is there private auto property in the example? Does it have some purpose or was it intended to be a field instead and the S4275 was just a difficult way how to discover it?

It was just an error a dev made while wanting a field. I stumbled over S4275 there and didn’t see what really caused it initially. A new rule would be better than flagging this a bug I guess, but I am not sure about the implications, maybe there is some legit use for this…?

1 Like

I can think of two examples that we can easily take into account:

Public Interface INoisy

Property Count As Integer

End Interface

Public Class Collection
    Implements INoisy

Private Property Count As Integer Implements INoisy.Count

End Class

and property decorated with attributes (maybe for serialization).

Otherwise, I don’t see a good reason to waste MSIL instructions/performance on the backing field access.

I’ve captured your new rule idea here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.