Failed to validate SSL certificate while running sonarscanner against secured SonarQube server through dockerfile

Versions Used:
SonarScanner version – 4.3.1
MsBuild-- version 15.9.20+g88f5fadfbe

Goal:
I am trying to run sonar scanner by connecting to sonarqube server which was already configured and protected by self signed cert.
I am having issues with sonarscanner with validating the cert.
I have a dockerfile created, i have access to certificate which i put them in
/usr/local/share/ca-certificates/ and i ran update-ca-certificates
It gives notification that it loaded the certificates successfully.

Wanted to know if there is any issue with compatibility between msbuild and sonarscanner in validating this certificate.

In dockerfile – the command for running sonarscanner i used is
RUN dotnet-sonarscanner begin /k:“tunein” /d:sonar.host.url=https://sonarqube.build.bldwus2a.amap.ext.mbrdna-eng.com

Followed this document – Installation of the SonarScanner for MSBuild .NET Core Global Tool
(https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/SCAN/Install+the+SonarScanner+for+MSBuild)

dotnet tool install --global dotnet-sonarscanner --version 4.3 . 1

(change 4.3.1 to the latest version available)

On Linux/OSX, if your SonarQube server is secured:

1. Copy the server’s CA certs to /usr/local/share/ca-certificates
  2. Run sudo update-ca-certificates

Error Log:
SonarScanner for MSBuild 4.3.1
Using the .NET Core version of the Scanner for MSBuild
Default properties file was found at /root/.dotnet/tools/.store/dotnet-sonarscanner/4.3.1/dotnet-sonarscanner/4.3.1/tools/netcoreapp2.
Loading analysis properties from /root/.dotnet/tools/.store/dotnet-sonarscanner/4.3.1/dotnet-sonarscanner/4.3.1/tools/netcoreapp2.1/an
Pre-processing started.
Preparing working directories…
22:22:09.592 Updating build integration targets…
22:22:09.613 Fetching analysis configuration settings…
22:22:10.006 Failed to request and parse ‘https://sonarqube.build.bldwus2a.amap.ext.mbrdna-eng.com/api/server/version’: The SSL connee inner exception. The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception. The remote certificateation procedure. —> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception. —> SysticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, ExceptionDispatc
at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.PartialFrameCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ThrowIfExceptional()
at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsClient(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.<>c.b__47_1(IAsyncResult iar)
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func2 endFunction, Action1 endAction, Task1 promise— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsyncCore(Stream stream, SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, Cancella
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsyncCore(Stream stream, SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, Cancella
at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask1.get_Result() at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask1.get_Result()
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.WaitForCreatedConnectionAsync(ValueTask1 creationTask) at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask1.get_Result()
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cance
at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, B at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SendRequest() at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBits(WebRequest request, Stream writeStream) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address) at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<DownloadServerVersion>b__0() at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.DoLogExceptions[T](Func1 op, String url, Action1 onError) at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.DownloadServerVersion() at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetServerVersion() at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetProperties(String projectKey, String projectBranch) at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.FetchArgumentsAndRulesets(ISonarQubeServer server, ProcessedArgs args, Tnary2& serverSettings, List`1& analyzersSettings)
at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.DoExecute(ProcessedArgs localSettings)
at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.PreProcess()
at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.Execute()
at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Execute(String args, ILogger logger)
at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Main(String args)

Is there any solution for this?
I too am trying to use dotnet sonarscanner on a linux platform with a sonarqube server that has a self signed certificate. I have tried downloading and adding/updating the certificate (self signed) to be trusted (in the same way mentioned above), but sonarscanner still gives the same error as the original poster.
Someone suggested I add it the the java truststore or keystore which I think I tried but still could not get this to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I managed to fix this in the end , the whole cert chain was needed not just the downloaded cert from our server. Once the chain was added it all worked.

1 Like

Hi Dave,
I am also facing the same issue . Would you please let me know the steps you used to resolve this issue
Regards,
Krishna

Hi Dave and Krishna,

Could you please share the steps you used to resolve this issue? I am also getting similar error.

11:22:03.252 Failed to request and parse ‘https://example.sonarqube.com/api/server/version’: An error occurred while sending the request. A security error occurred

Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: An error occurred while sending the request. A security error occurred —> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. —> System.Net.Http.WinHttpException: A security error occurred