Failed to request and parse 'sonarcloud.io/api/server/version'

I’ve been struggling with this error for a while. Could anyone please help me?

Template for a good new topic, formatted with Markdown:

• ALM used GitHub

• CI system used GitHub Actions

• Scanner command used when applicable dotnet sonarscanner begin /k:“REDACTED” /d:sonar.host.url=sonarcloud.io /d:sonar.login=“REDACTED” /o:“REDACTED”

• Languages of the repository .Net

• Only if the SonarCloud project is public, the URL https://sonarcloud.io/organizations/cho7rose/projects

• Error observed (wrap logs/code around with triple quotes ``` for proper formatting)

SonarScanner for MSBuild 4.8
    Using the .NET Core version of the Scanner for MSBuild
    Pre-processing started.
    Preparing working directories...
    15:21:50.317  Updating build integration targets...
    15:21:50.34  Fetching analysis configuration settings...
    15:21:50.35  Failed to request and parse 'sonarcloud.io/api/server/version': An exception occurred during a WebClient request.

Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: An exception occurred during a WebClient request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.WebClientDownloader.PersistentUserAgentWebClient.GetWebRequest(Uri address)
       at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
       at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<DownloadServerVersion>b__0()
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.DoLogExceptions[T](Func`1 op, String url, Action`1 onError)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetServerVersion()
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetProperties(String projectKey, String projectBranch)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.FetchArgumentsAndRulesets(ISonarQubeServer server, ProcessedArgs args, TeamBuildSettings settings, IDictionary`2& serverSettings, List`1& analyzersSettings)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.DoExecute(ProcessedArgs localSettings)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.PreProcess()
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.Execute()
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Execute(String[] args, ILogger logger)
       at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Main(String[] args)
  • Steps to reproduce Install sonnarscanner in Vscode with dotnet tool install --global dotnet-sonarscanner

Hi @cho7rose and welcome to the community !

You triggered an uncatched error for us, thank you, that’s useful !

In the mean time, you may try with /d:sonar.host.url=https://sonarcloud.io , that may work better.

Thank you.
Mickaël

Thanks Mickael. The new URL works

1 Like

Hi @mickaelcaro

I am facing the same issue, when I am trying to analyse the dotnet project with MsBuild Plugin. I am doing this analysis via Jenkins, so I am using a token from admin user, technically has access to do everything in sonarqube.

However, I was able to do the analysis with sonarscanner CLI, but I am seeing issues only when I am trying this with Sonar Scanner MsBuild Plugin.

I also tried with d.sonar.host.url but the problem appears to remain the same. Can you please help.

we are using CE sonarqube version 8.3

Jenkins Pipeline log

• dotnet sonarscanner begin /d:sonar.host.url=http://sqube.xyz.com /k:Sample-dotnet-MsBuild
    SonarScanner for MSBuild 4.10
    Using the .NET Core version of the Scanner for MSBuild
    Pre-processing started.
    Preparing working directories…
    13:04:08.673 Updating build integration targets…
    13:04:08.758 Fetching analysis configuration settings…
    13:04:09.277 Failed to request and parse ‘http://sqube.xyz.com/api/server/version’: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    Unhandled exception. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() in //src/System.Net.Requests/src/System/Net/HttpWebRequest.cs:line 1004
    at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request) in /
    /src/System.Net.WebClient/src/System/Net/WebClient.cs:line 249
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBits(WebRequest request, Stream writeStream) in //src/System.Net.WebClient/src/System/Net/WebClient.cs:line 818
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) in /
    /src/System.Net.WebClient/src/System/Net/WebClient.cs:line 297
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address) in //src/System.Net.WebClient/src/System/Net/WebClient.cs:line 684
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address) in /
    /src/System.Net.WebClient/src/System/Net/WebClient.cs:line 674
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.WebClientDownloader.Download(String url)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.b__0()
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.DoLogExceptions[T](Func1 op, String url, Action1 onError)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.DownloadServerVersion()
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetServerVersion()
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.SonarWebService.GetProperties(String projectKey, String projectBranch)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.FetchArgumentsAndRulesets(ISonarQubeServer server, ProcessedArgs args, TeamBuildSettings settings, IDictionary2& serverSettings, List1& analyzersSettings)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.DoExecute(ProcessedArgs localSettings)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.PreProcessor.TeamBuildPreProcessor.Execute(String args)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.PreProcess()
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.BootstrapperClass.Execute()
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Execute(String args, ILogger logger)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Execute(String args, Boolean showDeprecatedWarning)
    at SonarScanner.MSBuild.Program.Main(String args)
    [Pipeline] }
    WARN: Unable to locate ‘report-task.txt’ in the workspace. Did the SonarScanner succeeded?

Hi @yeshwanth

How do you pass your token in the dotnet command ?

Hi @mickaelcaro

I am using Jenkins credentials block

// Sample ///

withSonarQubeEnv(credentialsId: ‘abc’, installationName: ‘sonarqube’) {
dotnet tool install --global dotnet-sonarscanner
dotnet sonarscanner begin /d:sonar.host.url=http://sqube.abc.com /k:“Sample-dotnet-MsBuild”
dotnet build
dotnet sonarscanner end

}

Thanks
Yeshwanth

Hi @yeshwanth

You also need to pass the /d:sonar.login=yourtoken in the dotnet sonarscanner begin command (and also for the end command)

HTH,
Mickaël