Exception while running CppDepend.SonarQube.RuleRunner.exe

Hello,

Currently running SonarQube community edition version 8.9.10 LTS (zip), CppDepend version 2022.1.0.27 with developer license, Sonar Scanner version 4.7.0.2747 on Windows 10 machine. Installed plugins are “sonar-cxx-cppdepend-community-1” and “sonar-cxx-plugin-1.3.3.2051”. I have created sonar-project.properties and cppDependSln.cdproj files,where I have the .sln defined, with the necessary options and rules included. When running the scanner through my source code, I receive the following exception:

> INFO: Executing command: E:/Sources/CppDepend2022.1/CppDepend.SonarQube.RuleRunner.exe E:/cppDependSln.cdproj E:\cppdepend-report.xml
> INFO: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> INFO:    Exception while running CppDepend.SonarQube.RuleRunner.exe
> INFO:    Please read the message that shows the reason.
> INFO: Cannot run analysis without a Build Machine license.
> INFO:
> INFO: ***** NDepend.SonarQube.RuleRunner.exe Help *****
> INFO:
> INFO: NDepend.SonarQube.RuleRunner.exe is meant to be called by the SonarQube infrastructure.
> INFO:
> INFO: It has two mandatory command line arguments.
> INFO: - The first one is the absolute file path of the NDepend project file (file name extension .ndproj)
> INFO: - The second one is the absolute file path of the XML output file (file name extension .xml)
> INFO: The project gets analyzed, active coding rules are executed,
> INFO: and the XML output file contains rules violations data read by the SonarQube infrastructure.
> INFO:
> INFO: Coding rules configured are the compilable and active coding rules, with all parent groups active as well, defined in any of these locations:
> INFO: - The NDepend project file
> INFO: - Rule File(s) referenced by the project file
> INFO: - Source code analyzed
> INFO:
> INFO: This executable displays messages about its activity on the console.
> INFO: - Analysis execution messages.
> INFO: - Rules violated (in red) or not violated (in green).
> INFO:
> INFO: This executable returns a non-zero exit code if it fails.
> INFO: In such situation, an explicit error message is shown on the console.

Although I have defined in the cppDependSln.cdproj file the following rule
<NDepend IsCProject="false" IsPhysical="false" AppName="sln" Platform="DotNet"

Any idea what seems to be the problem exactly?
Thanks!

Hi,

Your version is past EOL. You should upgrade to either the latest version or the current LTS at your earliest convenience. Your upgrade path is:

8.9.10 → 9.9.2 → 10.2.1 (last step optional)

You may find these resources helpful:

If you have questions about upgrading, feel free to open a new thread for that here.

And, since this involves a community supported plugin, I suggest reaching out to the maintainer at GitHub - SonarOpenCommunity/sonar-cxx: SonarQube C++ Community plugin (cxx plugin): This plugin adds C++ support to SonarQube with the focus on integration of existing C++ tools.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m not facing this issue when running SonarQube 8.9.6 with same plugins and settings.
Is there a difference between 8.9.6 and 8.9.10 LTS that it would cause this problem?

Best regards,
Tarek

There shouldn’t be. I really recommend getting in touch with the maintainer at the previously mentioned Github repo.

I got in touch with CppDepend Support and it turns out to integrate CppDepend in SonarQube, a devops license is required. That was actually the solution, thanks!

Kind regards.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.