Eternal Loading-Screen

Hi there :slight_smile:

I was trying to setup a new SonarQube Instance with version 8.3.1.34397 on a SLES 15 system. I followed the “Prerequisites and Overview” as well as the “Get Started in Two Minutes” Guide from official documentation. Furthermore I installed openJDK11 and Postgres12 via Yast.

Unfortunatly SonarQube does not come up correctly after executing “sh sonar.sh console”. The “Loading” Screen with a moving cycle is displayed, but nothing happens afterwards.

After ~30min I got this error in web.log, which might leed to a problem regarding the system environment:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to create shared memory :
at org.sonar.process.sharedmemoryfile.AllProcessesCommands.(AllProcessesCommands.java:103)
at org.sonar.process.sharedmemoryfile.DefaultProcessCommands.(DefaultProcessCommands.java:34)
at org.sonar.process.sharedmemoryfile.DefaultProcessCommands.secondary(DefaultProcessCommands.java:52)
at org.sonar.server.app.WebServer.isOperational(WebServer.java:69)
at org.sonar.server.app.WebServer.getStatus(WebServer.java:61)
at org.sonar.process.ProcessEntryPoint.waitForStatus(ProcessEntryPoint.java:121)
at org.sonar.process.ProcessEntryPoint.launch(ProcessEntryPoint.java:104)
at org.sonar.process.ProcessEntryPoint.launch(ProcessEntryPoint.java:81)
at org.sonar.server.app.WebServer.main(WebServer.java:99)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/chili/sonarqube-8.3.1.34397/temp/sharedmemory (Too many open files in system)
at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(RandomAccessFile.java:345)
at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.(RandomAccessFile.java:259)
at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.(RandomAccessFile.java:214)

Any ideas on how I can get it to work?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,
David

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

This looks like a box/OS administration issue rather than a SonarQube-specific issue. I guess you’re running SonarQube on a shared server and some other process or processes is either using or leaking a lot of file handles. If that’s not the case, then you can look into increasing the total allowance on open files.

HTH,
Ann

Hi there,

thx for your answer.

now, I adapted /etc/security/limits.conf and this error is gone.

Unfortunatly SonarQube is still not running correctly.

I see this Exception in es.log:

2020.06.25 09:56:33 WARN  es[][o.e.t.TcpTransport] exception caught on transport layer [Netty4TcpChannel{localAddress=/127.0.0.1:9001, remoteAddress=/127.0.0.1:45682}], closing
connection
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.io.StreamCorruptedException: invalid internal transport message format, got (ff,f4,ff,fd)
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:472) ~[netty-codec-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:278) ~[netty-codec-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.logging.LoggingHandler.channelRead(LoggingHandler.java:241) [netty-handler-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1434) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:965) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:163) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:656) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysPlain(NioEventLoop.java:556) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:510) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:470) [netty-transport-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:909) [netty-common-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]
Caused by: java.io.StreamCorruptedException: invalid internal transport message format, got (ff,f4,ff,fd)
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.readHeaderBuffer(TcpTransport.java:851) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.4.jar:6.8.4]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TcpTransport.readMessageLength(TcpTransport.java:837) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.4.jar:6.8.4]
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.netty4.Netty4SizeHeaderFrameDecoder.decode(Netty4SizeHeaderFrameDecoder.java:40) ~[transport-netty4-client-6.8.4.jar:6.8.4]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:502) ~[netty-codec-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]
        at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:441) ~[netty-codec-4.1.32.Final.jar:4.1.32.Final]

Do you have any ideas?

Best Regards,
David

Do I have to set up the database manually (even though this was not mentioned in the “First steps”) ?

Hi,

We really need to keep it to one question per thread. Could you start a new thread with the full details of your new error, please?

Ann

Ok, of course.

Ok, system was rebooted. Enabled DEBUG-Logging and started “sonar.sh console” with a non root user.

Here you can see the result, developer console was enabled:

Here are the log-Files:

access.log (2.6 KB) es.log (83.1 KB) sonar.log (89.5 KB) web.log (343 Bytes)

Do you need more information?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
David

I would appreciate any help, because I need a running installation quite soon.

Hi,

You really do need to open a new thread for a new topic.

Before you do, though, you should take a look at whatever sits on your network between your browser and your SonarQube instance, because there’s nothing relevant-seeming in the logs you’ve provided.

Ann

Obviously this was a bug in sonarqube-8.3.1.34397, sonarqube-8.4.0.35506 could be started without problems.

Best Regards,
David