ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.Platform] Background initialization failed. Stopping SonarQube java.lang.Illega

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension) 8.4.1
  • what are you trying to achieve
    I was trying to upgrade it to 8.9.9 LTS
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this
    Change the image and it was giving the error about svn and git incompatible plugin.
    Tried sonarqube official image. and it broke the older set up too.

Now giving below error with prevision version deployment pointing to restored db.
ERROR web[o.s.s.p.Platform] Background initialization failed. Stopping SonarQube

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to create the directory: /opt/sonarqube/extensions/downloads

at org.sonar.server.plugins.PluginDownloader.start(PluginDownloader.java:83)

at org.sonar.core.platform.StartableCloseableSafeLifecyleStrategy.start(StartableCloseableSafeLifecyleStrategy.java:40)

at org.picocontainer.injectors.AbstractInjectionFactory$LifecycleAdapter.start(AbstractInjectionFactory.java:84)

at org.picocontainer.behaviors.AbstractBehavior.start(AbstractBehavior.java:169)

at org.picocontainer.behaviors.Stored$RealComponentLifecycle.start(Stored.java:132)

at org.picocontainer.behaviors.Stored.start(Stored.java:110)

at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.potentiallyStartAdapter(DefaultPicoContainer.java:1016)

at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.startAdapters(DefaultPicoContainer.java:1009)

at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.start(DefaultPicoContainer.java:767)

at org.sonar.core.platform.ComponentContainer.startComponents(ComponentContainer.java:136)

at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevel.start(PlatformLevel.java:90)

at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevel4.start(PlatformLevel4.java:555)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl.start(PlatformImpl.java:213)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl.startLevel34Containers(PlatformImpl.java:187)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl.access$500(PlatformImpl.java:46)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$1.lambda$doRun$0(PlatformImpl.java:120)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$AutoStarterRunnable.runIfNotAborted(PlatformImpl.java:370)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$1.doRun(PlatformImpl.java:120)

at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$AutoStarterRunnable.run(PlatformImpl.java:354)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to create directory /opt/sonarqube/extensions/downloads

at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.forceMkdir(FileUtils.java:1391)

at org.sonar.server.plugins.PluginDownloader.start(PluginDownloader.java:78)

... 19 common frames omitted

2022.08.30 20:16:18 INFO web[][o.s.p.ProcessEntryPoint] Hard stopping process

2022.08.30 20:16:18 INFO app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Process[web] is stopped

2022.08.30 20:16:19 WARN app[][o.s.a.p.AbstractManagedProcess] Process exited with exit value [es]: 143

2022.08.30 20:16:19 INFO app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] Process[es] is stopped

2022.08.30 20:16:19 INFO app[][o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] SonarQube is stopped

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

So first, by 8.9.* all SonarSource-provided functionality is already in the bundle. No need to install/carry-over those plugins.

Beyond that, though, you should make sure the user running SonarQube has full read/write/execute rights to the SonarQube directory, recursive.

HTH,
Ann

Thank you for the quick response Ann.

Just wanted to make sure I understand right so in version 8.4.1.35646 where plugins are provided at this path /extension/plugin and in version 8.9.9.56886 is at this path lib/extensions so in the newer version jar plugin files shouldn’t be moving over to this path /extension/plugin in order to install? is that correct? it will be installed by default for all the plugins that live at the /lib/extensions?

just wanted to clarify when I upgrade the image to 8.9.9 version. I moved the plugin from the same version which is at /lib/extension path to /extensino/plugin in order to install those plugins and start the deployment and it gave me an error about svn and git which doesn’t exist in the 8.9.9 version. I didn’t carry over from the older version.

Thank you so much for your quick response on this.

Regards,
Zenith

Hi Zenith,

Yes, correct.

For 8.9 & later (and actually some earlier, but I honestly don’t remember anymore when we started bundling everything) you don’t need to do any extra installs for SonarSource-provided functionality.

HTH,
Ann

Thank you Ann. This is so much helpful. I appreciate your quick response, you guys are much better than paid support with some of the other tools. lol

Regards,
Zenith

1 Like