Error in SonarLint for IntelliJ 2023.1.3 / SonarLint 8.4

Environment:

• Java: JetBrains s.r.o. 17.0.7
  • IDE: IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1.3
  • SonarLint: 8.4.0.73538

Hi guys, i get this error when my project loads :-(.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to extract rules metadata
	at o.ss.sl.core.rule.extractor.RulesDefinitionExtractor.extractRules(RulesDefinitionExtractor.java:42)
	at o.ss.sl.core.AbstractSonarLintEngine.loadPluginMetadata(AbstractSonarLintEngine.java:77)
	at o.ss.sl.core.ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.loadAnalysisContext(ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.java:120)
	at o.ss.sl.core.ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.start(ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.java:112)
	at o.ss.sl.core.ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.<init>(ConnectedSonarLintEngineImpl.java:102)
	at o.sl.ij.core.SonarLintEngineFactory.createEngine(SonarLintEngineFactory.java:62)
	at o.sl.ij.core.DefaultEngineManager.createConnectedEngine(DefaultEngineManager.java:122)
	at java.base/java.util.HashMap.computeIfAbsent(HashMap.java:1220)
	at o.sl.ij.core.DefaultEngineManager.getConnectedEngine(DefaultEngineManager.java:114)
	at o.sl.ij.core.ProjectBindingManager.getConnectedEngineSkipChecks(ProjectBindingManager.java:102)
	at o.sl.ij.core.ProjectBindingManager.getValidConnectedEngine(ProjectBindingManager.java:135)
	at o.sl.ij.finding.issue.vulnerabilities.TaintVulnerabilitiesLoader.getTaintVulnerabilitiesByOpenedFiles(TaintVulnerabilitiesLoader.kt:42)
	at o.sl.ij.finding.issue.vulnerabilities.TaintVulnerabilitiesPresenter$presentTaintVulnerabilitiesForOpenFiles$1.run(TaintVulnerabilitiesPresenter.kt:107)
	at c.ij.oa.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.startTask(CoreProgressManager.java:429)
	at c.ij.oa.progress.impl.ProgressManagerImpl.startTask(ProgressManagerImpl.java:114)

Hey there.

Are you using Connected Mode (to connect to SonarQube or SonarCloud)? If you are connecting to SonarQube, do you have any community-supported plugins installed?

Thank you for your reply. Yes i’m using the connected mode, but I’m not sure what plugins could be installed on the server. I’ll ask the team responsible.

My problem seemed to solve itself this morning, I just changed the node version from 18.12.1 to 16.17.1. could it be the problem ?

Best regards

It would certainly surprise me, but I’ve seen stranger things!

Does the behavior come back if you switch back to NodeJS 18?

For now the problem is solved. We recently changed the sonarqube, maybe I just failed the config of the new connection. I’ll open another if the problem comes back.

Thank you very much for your concern

1 Like