Does SonarQube Version 6.7.5 work with Sonargraph Integration 3.1.0?

I use SonarQube Version 6.7.5 (build 38563). After I migrated my project from JDK 8 to JDK 11 the sonar-maven-plugin failed with the following error:

[Step 1/1] Failed to execute goal org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398:sonar (default-cli) on project cross-sync-api: Execution default-cli of goal org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398:sonar failed: A required class was missing while executing org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398:sonar: javax/xml/bind/ValidationEventHandler
-----------------------------------------------------
realm =    plugin>org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398
strategy = org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.strategy.SelfFirstStrategy
urls[0] = file:/root/.m2/repository/org/sonarsource/scanner/maven/sonar-maven-plugin/3.6.0.1398/sonar-maven-plugin-3.6.0.1398.jar
urls[1] = file:/root/.m2/repository/org/sonatype/plexus/plexus-sec-dispatcher/1.4/plexus-sec-dispatcher-1.4.jar
urls[2] = file:/root/.m2/repository/org/sonatype/plexus/plexus-cipher/1.4/plexus-cipher-1.4.jar
urls[3] = file:/root/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-utils/3.0.22/plexus-utils-3.0.22.jar
urls[4] = file:/root/.m2/repository/org/sonarsource/scanner/api/sonar-scanner-api/2.12.0.1661/sonar-scanner-api-2.12.0.1661.jar
urls[5] = file:/root/.m2/repository/commons-lang/commons-lang/2.6/commons-lang-2.6.jar
Number of foreign imports: 1
import: Entry[import  from realm ClassRealm[maven.api, parent: null]]

I found a suggestion that a Upgrade to SonarJava 5.13.1 and SonarGraph Integration 3.0.0 may solve my problem. Does SonarQube 6.7.5 work with Sonargraph Integration 3.1.0?

I use:

• SonarQube Version 6.7.5 (build 38563) which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)
  • SonarJava 5.13.1
  • SonarGraph Integration 2.1.7
  • sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398

Hi @lrong,

You will find the answer on the Plugin version matrix, published in our Documentation: https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/instance-administration/plugin-version-matrix/

To specifically answer your question, SonarGraph Integration 3.1.0 is compatible with SonarQube 6.7 Version.

In parallel, I would recommend you to upgrade your SonarQube server to the last LTS, 7.9 version of SonarQube, that was released early July and has plenty of nice new features, languages and rules :slight_smile:

Enjoy it !

Carine

1 Like

Hi Carine,

my colleague has tried to upgrade our SonarQube (6.7.5) with SonarGraph Integration 3.0.0 but after that our SonarQube can’t be startet. He got the note that we should upgrade our SonarQube to the version 6.7.6. Unfortunately we can’t do this upgrade at the moment because our SonarQube has MySql as the database, and MySql ist not be supported by SonarQube any more since the version 6.7.6 :frowning:

Rong

Hi @lrong

On your first point,

SonarQube 6.7 is compatible with SonarGraph Integration 3.1.0 as mentionned in the Plugin Matrix I sent you.

On your second point, about MySQL drop, you will find here all the important information and link to the tool we can provide to help you migrate from MySQL to a supported DB provider, before upgrading to 7.9 LTS version of SonarQube. Fyi, MySQL was supported until 7.8 version of SonarQube.

Here below additional information on how to proceed :

HTH,
Carine

We had a similar problem, when migrating our code to java 11, since our instance ran on java 8 and had a mysql database. While migrating to sonarqube 6.7.6 we had massive database issues (we ignored every warning during the installation). After all we ended up, force to upgrade to sonarqube 7.9 running postgresql-10, OpenJdk-11.0.3 and finally our SonarGraph Integration worked again, still running

So, Carine, are you really sure mysql, java 8 and SonarGraph Integration 3.0 is a good idea?

Hi @AThea,

Carine has stated a number of times that the currently compatible version of SonarGraph - not that this is a SonarSource product, it is merely coincidentally similarly named - is 3.1.0 as shown in the source-of-truth, the Plugin Version Matrix. Your issues around SonarQube version, Java version and database flavor really don’t seem relevant. However if you do have something you’d like to ask or need help with, I invite you to open a new thread.

:slight_smile:
Ann

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’m the colleague, @lrong stated earlier. Unluckily I can confirm, that upgrading this combination

• SonarQube v6.7.5
    (including SonarGraph Integration v2.1.7)
  • Oracle JDK 1.8.0_201
  • MySQL v5.7

to

• SonarQube v7.9.1
    (including SonarGraph Integration v3.1.0)
  • OpenJDK 11.0.4
  • postgresql v10.9

is pretty “nightmarish”. Through the marketplace it is definately not possible to get to SonarGraph Integration v3; forcing the installation by trying to install the plugin directly into the filesystem pretty much bricked the whole installation. Since we also got a bunch of other plugins and another mayor language (C# using .NET-4.5.2) with a pretty large legacy code base, we have to support, you might get an idea how much we have to test before moving to a newer LTS version (even if it’s just a “new patch”). So

• migrating the database to a new system,
  • moving the whole installation to a new JRE,
  • and finally update to a new mayor release

just for getting a plugin to work seems to me a pretty high price for running an LTS software!

Hi,

To be clear, are you saying that SonarGraph 3.1.0 isn’t compatible with SonarQube 7.9.*? If so, I’ll happily correct the data files that feed the Marketplace and the Plugin Version Matrix.

To be clear, the upgrade of SonarQube introduced the requirement to upgrade your version of Java.

Ann

Hey G Ann,

SonarGraph 3.5 is already marked incompatible to SonarQube 7.9.x, we are talking about SonarGraph Integration 3.1.0, which is listed compatible, but leads to a bricked instance (see 6.7.5 scenario in my earlier posting).

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I think “bricked” is a bit melodramatic in this situation. Any time you have a bad plugin installed, it’s not unrecoverable (bricked). You just need to manually uninstall the plugin.

Anyway, here’s a screenshot of my 7.9 Community Edition happily running with Sonargraph Integration installed:

If you’re not using CE, I’m happy to re-test with whatever edition you have. But right now I don’t see a problem.

Ann