Conflicting Issues while using .NET8

Hello,

• Operating system: Win10
  • Visual Studio version: Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2022 (64-bit) - Current Version 17.8.3
  • SonarLint plugin version: 7.4.0
  • Programming language you’re coding in: C#
  • Is connected mode used:Yes
    • Connected to SonarCloud or SonarQube (and which version): SonarQube 9.9

I have encountered couple of problems while using .NET8

1. SYSLIB0051 vs csharpsquid:S3925
    I got following warning in VS.
    SYSLIB0051|‘Exception.Exception(SerializationInfo, StreamingContext)’ is obsolete: ‘This API supports obsolete formatter-based serialization. It should not be called or extended by application code.’
    When I fixed the above error by removing Serializable constructor and using Primary constructor, I got S3925, asking me to put the removed constructor.

2. Certain issues are only shown on SonarQube portal and not on VS (using SonarLint).
    E.g.: S3925 & [S2589] are only shown on SonarQube portal and not while using VS.

3. [S3604] is not valid while using primary constructor according to Microsoft documentation.
    Primary constructors - C# 12.0 draft feature specifications | Microsoft Learn

public class C(bool b, int i, string s) : B(b) // b passed to base constructor
{
    public int I { get; set; } = i; // i used for initialization
    public string S // s used directly in function members
    {
        get => s;
        set => s = value ?? throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(S));
    }
    public C(string s) : this(true, 0, s) { } // must call this(...)
}

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help.

Hey there.

A couple annoyingly complicated things to keep in mind here.

• SonarQube v9.9 is using v8.51 of sonar-dotnet
  • The latest version of SonarLint for Visual Studio is using v9.12
  • The first version of sonar-dotnet to officially support .NET 8 is v9.13
  • There are probably still some false-positives to clean-up.

This should get handled in S3925: BinaryFormatter serialization is deprecated, should be handled differently for >= .NET 8 · Issue #8377 · SonarSource/sonar-dotnet · GitHub.

SonarLint for Visual Studio is using a newer version of the .NET analyzer – so I suppose the qusetion is, are the issues on SonarQube false-positives or legitimate issues?

This should have been handled in Fix S3604 FP: Primary constructors · Issue #7624 · SonarSource/sonar-dotnet · GitHub, which will make its way to SonarLint soon (and eventually SonarCloud).

We appreciate the reports.

Firstly thank you very much for your response.
Is there mapping of SonarQube version to sonar-dotnet version supported? Can we upgrade just sonar-dotnet to latest without upgrading SonarQube 9.9v?

Hey again!

Normally, things like specific analyzer versions aren’t exposed to users when using a specific product that bundles a particular version. I shared these to demonstrate the discrepancy you’re seeing.

Still, you can find specific versions in the build.gradle for a specific version of SonarQube (here’s SonarQube 9.9 vs 10.3)

No, it’s required to upgrade SonarQube version.

Hello Colin,

The information you shared is very helpful. Thank you.

So to double check, SonarQube version 10.3 has .NET8 implement but not things like S3925: BinaryFormatter serialization is deprecated, should be handled differently for >= .NET 8 · Issue #8377 · SonarSource/sonar-dotnet · GitHub.

10.4v looks promising as per Fix S3604 FP: Primary constructors · Issue #7624 · SonarSource/sonar-dotnet · GitHub.

My conculsion is, I should wait for next release(s) to have .NET8 and C#12 fixes all implemented.

You’ll always find the best support for newest versions of programming languages in the very latest versions of SonarQube. SonarQube 10.3 has better support for .NET 8 than any previous version, and SonarQube 10.4 will have even better!