Comments inside PR itself with bitbucketcloud

Hi ,

Is there any information when the commenting inside Pull Request functionality will be available with bitbucket cloud ?
Currently i see that only general overview information can be added .

I am very interested in this functionality and i can see that right now its only possible with custom plugins along with sonarqube, but we would like to stay with sonarcloud.

Regards
Andrzej

1 Like

Hi Andrzej,

We’re currently planning to take this up in the new year.

Ann

Creating comments on a Bitbucket PR is tricky, because currently, pipelines builds are triggered not on the merge commit, but on the source branch of the PR. It make mapping of issue lines difficult.

This feature would make our life easier, so don’t hesitate to vote for it :wink:

We have ideas of workarounds, but as @ganncamp said, this will probably not happen before new year.

Hi, aren’t you tracking the wrong/dead issue? I believe this is already implemented, months ago!

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/13438/add-specific-pipelines-configuration-for#comment-49064548

From the docs: Bitbucket Pipelines configuration reference | Bitbucket Cloud | Atlassian Support

pull-requests

A special pipeline which only runs on pull requests. Pull-requests has the same level of indentation as branches .

This type of pipeline runs a little differently to other pipelines. When it’s triggered, we’ll merge the destination branch into your working branch before it runs. If the merge fails we will stop the pipeline.

Hi @Snebjorn

You’re right, Bitbucket Pipelines folks have implemented proper support of PR build. Still we won’t develop issue reporting as comments in the PR. Even if it was our original strategy in GitHub and Azure Devops, we are moving away from it, since it has a lot of drawbacks. In short, comments are for humans, not for bots.

On GitHub, they have recently added the GitHub Checks feature, that is specifically designed for automated tools to report issues on PR. We moved to it.
On Bitbucket Server, they have the Code Insight feature, and we just released our integration.

Regarding Bitbucket Cloud, we have started discussion with Atlassian, and even if I can’t share any precise information, I feel they will sooner or later propose a similar feature. But as of today they don’t have a specific way for automated tools to report annotations on the code. And since we don’t want to hack comments, then we are not planning to move on this topic.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the info. I’m not familiar with the GitHub Checks feature (yet) but looking forward to see what you come up with.