Bitbucket yml pipeline PHP project scans JS sourcefiles for 40 min

The problem:
The yml pipeline for my Laravel PHP project runs smoothly until we hit the
INFO: Sensor JavaScript analysis [javascript]
This starts scanning source files that are not present in my repo, but were apparently retrieved from Bitbucket and are add to Docker?
It starts node.js, which I did not asked the pipeline to do, and it starts scanning Atlassian source files:

INFO: Sensor JavaScript analysis [javascript]
DEBUG: Deploying bundle
DEBUG: Deploying eslint-bridge into /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle
DEBUG: Deploying bundle (done) | time=2069ms
DEBUG: Deploying custom rules bundle jar:file:/root/.sonar/cache/fc422c4b061327b347a25963ee1affc1/sonar-securityjsfrontend-plugin.jar!/js-vulnerabilities-rules-1.0.0.tgz to /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle/package/custom-rules5597528658977234149
DEBUG: Starting server
DEBUG: Using default Node.js executable: 'node'.
DEBUG: Checking Node.js version
DEBUG: Launching command node -v
DEBUG: Using Node.js v16.13.2.
DEBUG: Starting Node.js process to start eslint-bridge server at port 46151
DEBUG: Launching command node /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle/package/bin/server 46151 127.0.0.1 /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork true false /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/eslint-bridge-bundle/package/custom-rules5597528658977234149/package
DEBUG: starting eslint-bridge server at port 46151
DEBUG: eslint-bridge server is running at port 46151
DEBUG: Starting server (done) | time=3460ms
DEBUG: Using generated tsconfig.json file /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/.scannerwork/.sonartmp/6273489293182686458.tmp
DEBUG: Analysis of unchanged files will not be skipped (current analysis requires all files to be analyzed)
INFO: 18 source files to be analyzed
DEBUG: Analyzing file: file:///opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js
DEBUG: Analyzing file "/opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js" with linterId "default"
INFO: 1/18 file analyzed, current file: /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js
INFO: 13/18 files analyzed, current file: /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/demo/default/base/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/js/emojis.js

This scan process of these source files takes at least 40 minutes!
The pipeline either breaks based on memory or a Docker timeout (after 120 min).

There are some simple front-end .js files in my codebase, so I need to keep scanning .js. But it does not fail on my own three .js files, it fails because it takes a long time to scan these weird 18 external source files.
The big question is: how do I turn this off? How do I skip this step? And why does it keep scanning these external files?
I already added * * /opt/ * * (spaces needed for formatting here) to my exclusion value, but that did not help. Of course.
This one stands out to me:
DEBUG: Analysis of unchanged files will not be skipped (current analysis requires all files to be analyzed)
So I guess somewhere there is an option to get rid of this?

My stats:

• ALM used: Bitbucket Cloud
  • CI system used: Bitbucket Cloud
  • Languages of the repository: PHP, JS, CSS.

My yml is the basic from the onboard wizard for PHP projects.
My image: image: atlassian/default-image:2

And the steps I take:

steps:
    - step: &build-test-sonarcloud
        size: 2x
        name: Sonar scan
        caches:
          - sonar
        script:
          - pipe: sonarsource/sonarcloud-scan:1.4.0
            variables:
              EXTRA_ARGS: '-Dsonar.organization=[REMOVED] -Dsonar.projectKey=[REMOVED] -Dsonar.sources=. -Dsonar.host.url=https://sonarcloud.io'
              DEBUG: "true"
    - step: &check-quality-gate-sonarcloud
        name: Check the Quality Gate on SonarCloud
        script:
          - pipe: sonarsource/sonarcloud-quality-gate:0.1.6
            variables:
              DEBUG: "true"

The rest of the file is default. The file sonar-project.properties is also default, straight from the onboarding wizard.
Can you let me know what I did wrong? How can I fix this issue?

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

The ** pattern excludes 0-n directories. You’ll need to add a file specifier (/* or /*.js), for a pattern of **/opt/**/*.js.

HTH,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Sadly this makes no change.
It still scans the SOURCE files of the Bitbucket docker setup.

17:46:47.355 INFO: 13/18 files analyzed, current file: /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/demo/default/base/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/js/emojis.js

These are not my files. These are the files installed by the Docker build.

It made no difference when I add your suggestion via the Sonarcloud config (Source File Exclusions):

17:46:14.155 INFO: Project configuration:
17:46:14.156 INFO:   Excluded sources: **/build-wrapper-dump.json, public/hexon/**, public/pim/**, public/images/**, public/fonts/**, bitbucket-pipelines.yml, public/mix-manifest.json, **/opt/**/*.js, **/*.map, **/*.svg, **/*.yml, **/*.yaml

This happens during scanning (in - step: &build-test-sonarcloud).
This seems to be something different.
Why would Sonarcloud even scan files ourside my project that do not belong to the project?

Regards, Bas

Hi Bas,

Can you share the full analysis log?

The analysis / scanner log is what’s output from the analysis command. Hopefully, the log you provide - redacted as necessary - will include that command as well.

This guide will help you find them.

Ann

Hi Ann,

The pipeline (debug):
pipelineLog-{88ba3333-a63e-4db4-a7a0-d5dbe9c633e0}.txt (398.2 KB)

The sonar-project.properties:
sonar-project properties.txt (617 Bytes)

The bitbucket-pipelines.yml:
bitbucket-pipelines yml.txt (1.4 KB)

Hope to hear from you,
Bastiaan

Hi Bastiaan,

I believe this is the problem:

18:34:34.964 INFO: Base dir: /opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build

Analysis is executed from a directory inside /opt, so there’s no match with your **/opt/*.js pattern.

I’m not sure why you’re seeing the full path here:

DEBUG: Analyzing file: file:///opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js
DEBUG: Analyzing file "/opt/atlassian/pipelines/agent/build/public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js" with linterId "default"

But I believe the part of the path that’s relevant is this:
public/assets/vendors/base/bootstrap-daterangepicker.js

So try something like this pattern instead:
**/vendors/**/*.js

HTH,
Ann